Best Reading Practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is a good practice for reading section for DAT? I am going through the Kaplan Blue Book reading passages and these are some insanely detailed passages...are these equivalent to the DAT ones?

Is CDR worth the purchase to do well on reading?

Members don't see this ad.

Bump anyone?

I just took Topscore and the reading was WAAAAY to easy and all search n destroy....

Anything with lots of tone/inter questions is nice.

I took topscore 1 couple of days back and got a 21. It was just search and destroy.
I took 3 of the CDR tests and I got 16,16, and 17.
I would say you are better off buying the CDR b/c it's not search and destroy like topscore.

Bump anyone?

I just took Topscore and the reading was WAAAAY to easy and all search n destroy....

Anything with lots of tone/inter questions is nice.

I felt the same; first topscore i got a 20/21 on RC, in CDR i got a 20 on my first exam, and on Achiever I got a 15 (w/o reading the passages) and then I redid it the next day (read each passage in full) I got a 17.

I am prepared to read the whole passage on the real DAT, Topscore = s&D all the way; Achiever = S&D No way Jose! the answers do not provide you with such leverage to simply scan the passage. I'm a fast reader but I felt Achiever questions and passages are tougher, while I like it for practice.

I think it all depends on what kind of a passages you get on the real exam, ive seen some people go from 17 achiever RC to 23 on real DAT, but I've also seen 17 achiever RC to 18 real DAT.

So who knows? Hope you get lucky. Just like BIO which I think is such a crap shoot that the difference between a Great and OK score depends on how good you know the specific topics presented.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm I guess I will hold out on the CDR than...I was wondering if anyone tried CDR and how you did on real DAT with it.

Does the Kaplan White or Blue book have good reading passages?

Hmm I guess I will hold out on the CDR than...I was wondering if anyone tried CDR and how you did on real DAT with it.

Does the Kaplan White or Blue book have good reading passages?

dunno much about Kaplan but I heard CDR is comparable, the passages in CDR are shorter than the real exam, but the tone/inference Qs are spot on! I doubt it makes sense to even waste time taking RC in TopScore, because the real exam might be tougher. I say continue with CDR and buy Achiever, I like it a lot and supposedly its really close the real exam in terms of how it looks and "feels" when you click and the mosue and such. (not based on the actual questions.)