Best reference books/equipment for clinics?

Started by Cyndia
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Cyndia

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So our class is going to be given either a reference book or piece of equipment thanks to a generous scholarship to the school. They've asked us for suggestions of what we might like, and so I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions?

So far we've considered the nerdbook, plumbs, Kirkwall current veterinary therapy, clinical veterinary advisor book, pasquini's guide, blackwell's, or an opthalmic lens. I'd love to hear your thoughts on any of these as well!
 
I use my nerdbook quite a bit. I also have the diagnostics list book. However, neither of these are full references... I still often find myself digging through the books provided in the rounds rooms. If you want a quick reference as to why x, y, z blood value might be elevated, they are great. I haven't really used the other books mentioned enough to give any feedback on them. Try looking through them in your school library if you can, that might help to guide your decision.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Plumbs will be the most useful book, IMO - yes, you can view it online for free, but it's not nearly as easy to access that free version in as many places as you will need it as fast as you will want the information. A really good stethoscope would be a good idea if, like in my class, you all have entry-level stethoscopes. Other than my stethoscope, the one piece of equipment I wish I'd had during clinics was a really good light source, and I would have loved a high quality, bright, battery-operated (i.e. non disposable) pen light.
 
Thanks for the advice everyone! From what I've heard on here and from some upperclassmen, I think I'm leaning towards a nerdbook. Also, I know plumbs has that new app which is free for students - has anyone used it much/found it useful?

As for the stethoscopes, we weren't given ones, so the majority of the class went and bought fairly nice ones. Never considered a nice pen light though! We were given some disposable ones, but it'll definitely be something I'll look into later on since I think they'll probably end up saving the scholarship funds for something more expensive.
 
Plumbs app is really nice.

Personally for clinics I would recommend a good pair of noise cancelling head phones, or visa gift cards for the campus cafe or vending machines (because lets be real, your going to live at school).
 
Meh, I don't think I have ever needed/used a pen light. If I need a light source to check PLR's I can usually find one. Either my cellphone has a good enough flashlight or I can use one of the transilluminators in the clinic.

I tend to use the Plumbs via VIN, since it is right there and it is searchable. Haven't needed a Plumbs so urgently that I can't quickly type a drug into the search box and have my answer. And if we need emergency drugs for a crashing patient, the interns/residents/doctors are usually on that and aren't going to wait for you to look it up regardless of which method you use. However, it is not complete so I have had to look up additional information. Though the times I have to look up additional information have been rare. I think the biggest one I can remember is that they didn't have the pretty fentanyl chart in the Plumb's on VIN, but had it in the hard copy version.

I would love some gift cards, would be so amazing especially if you forget your lunch or are stuck overnight with nothing and just need a drink or something to keep you going through.

The optic lens will be nice for those on small animal and maybe on equine. The food animal people are probably going to be less impressed with that option.

I'd vote gift cards, but I love food. 🙂
 
I did use Ettinger (expensive - better to run to the library if your school has that available, or stop through your IM area, which should have it) and CVA. I use hard copy Plumb's all the freaking time (in 4th yr and practice). I know it is on VIN and I know there is an app. I find it just easier to grab the book from in front of me.

My most-worn book is an ER book that I got after graduation, but it would not have been terribly useful during fourth year.



Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
 
I also had no use for the Nerdbook. I never understood what all the fuss was about.

Different strokes.......

It is a nice, quick reference and it is small and light so easy to have/carry on clinics. There is quick reference to different blood values with short lists for why something might be elevated/decreased. I also really like the calorie table that is in there. It has saved me many times from having to calculate out calories for a patient, I can just flip to that table and it is there.

Having said that, I haven't used it for probably a few months now.
 
The nicest thing about the Nerdbook was that it fit in the pocket of my clinic coat 🙂 Other reference books were better, but I couldn't carry them around with me (and I went to vet school before smartphones were even a thing).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just made my own handy dandy reference book. Still use it like every day.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Me too.....I still use it, over 15 years since graduation. We were allowed to make a reference book with any information in it we wanted (and could use it in the Anesthesia exam), provided it would fit in a lab coat pocket.