Step I Best resource for understanding the rationale behind antiarrythmics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JooceMan137

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm an M2 studying cardio now, and antiarrythmic pharm is giving me a bit of a headache. I'm able to understand the effects of the drugs on the AP duration, upstroke (magnitude), QT interval, etc.

What's taking a little more effort is understanding the rationale behind which drug and class to use for specific types of arrhythmias. For example, I know that IA are used in A fib, simply by memorization. My question is WHY is it that the prolonged AP duration with the diminished upstroke are effective in treating atrial fibrillation. I guess I can say that i'm looking for a good resource to understand the Pharmo-physiology (is that even a word?)

If anyone could give me some recommendations it would be appreciated.