Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Best Schools by Specialty?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by rani82, Jul 24, 2006.

1. rani82

rani82 Junior Member

Optometry Student
    Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows if there are particular schools that are known for focusing on specific areas of optometry - ocular disease, primary care, low vision, peds, etc... For example, I think SUNY is known to focus on vision therapy, right?

Any idea of other schools' focus?

Thanks for your help!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I don't know if they focus on it... but UHCO has a SPECTACULAR low vision department

4. rani82

rani82 Junior Member

Optometry Student
    Hi CPW,

Thanks for the prompt response - does anyone know about any of the other schools?

Thanks so much for the information!

5. r_salis

r_salis SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    SUNY treats all specialties fairly equally, but you are correct that they are known for having an excellent VT focus.

6. rani82

rani82 Junior Member

Optometry Student
    I heard the students at Nova are pretty well versed in Ocular Disease - I know that they start Ocular Disease I in their second year and go through to Ocular Disease IV at the end of their third year.

Anyone know if there are particular schools that are well known for their Ocular Disease focus?

Thanks!

7. cpw

cpw It's a boy !!!
    Moderator Emeritus

Optometrist
    I believe all the schools go through Ocular Path I- IV ... plus Neuro, Perception, etc.

Also start looking at when you enter clinic and contacting patients. Many schools don't start til 3rd year. Others start in second year.

8. MD2b20004

MD2b20004 Banned
    Banned

You can't go wrong with Berkley. Top Notch in all aspects of their education, not to say other OD schools are inferior, but if I decided to go into optometry my choice would be Berkley for obvious reasons other than the School Name.