Best Schools by Specialty?

Started by rani82
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rani82

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone knows if there are particular schools that are known for focusing on specific areas of optometry - ocular disease, primary care, low vision, peds, etc... For example, I think SUNY is known to focus on vision therapy, right?

Any idea of other schools' focus?

Thanks for your help!
 
Hi CPW,

Thanks for the prompt response - does anyone know about any of the other schools?

Thanks so much for the information!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard the students at Nova are pretty well versed in Ocular Disease - I know that they start Ocular Disease I in their second year and go through to Ocular Disease IV at the end of their third year.

Anyone know if there are particular schools that are well known for their Ocular Disease focus?

Thanks!
 
rani82 said:
I heard the students at Nova are pretty well versed in Ocular Disease - I know that they start Ocular Disease I in their second year and go through to Ocular Disease IV at the end of their third year.

Anyone know if there are particular schools that are well known for their Ocular Disease focus?

Thanks!

I believe all the schools go through Ocular Path I- IV ... plus Neuro, Perception, etc.

Also start looking at when you enter clinic and contacting patients. Many schools don't start til 3rd year. Others start in second year.
 
cpw said:
I believe all the schools go through Ocular Path I- IV ... plus Neuro, Perception, etc.

Also start looking at when you enter clinic and contacting patients. Many schools don't start til 3rd year. Others start in second year.
You can't go wrong with Berkley. Top Notch in all aspects of their education, not to say other OD schools are inferior, but if I decided to go into optometry my choice would be Berkley for obvious reasons other than the School Name.