Best Scores From Multiple MCAT Scores Vs. Best Set of Scores??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's false....I've been meeting with multiple AdComs for the past two weeks and ALL of them have said that reapplicants have a better chance, if they have improved their app... Also, consider the following: each year ~40% of applicants matriculate somewhere. Applicants and reapplicants make up that ~40%, because that means ~60% of the applicants from the previous year didn't get in. That means the statistic on first-time applicants getting in each year is probably closer to ~30% or (likely) even lower. In a lot of cases, there are specific things that schools interested in you might want you to do for a year before they are comfortable in admitting you (especially if you are a young BS/BA grad). Words straight from multiple AdComs.

The vast majority applicants are age 22-23 at the projected time of matriculation. That same group has a better than 50-50 chance (about 53-47) of being admitted. They also make up about a third of all applicants. At anticipated ages < 22 and >23 the likelihood is less than 50-50. (see Chart 10-M on page 63 in the MSAR 2012-2013).

What this tells me is that most applicants who are not applying at the first opportunity right out of college, and this includes students who are re-applying, do not have as good a chance of being admitted on average, as college seniors do.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After all the responses, I'm still confused about which MCAT score is used to evaluate one's application. Is the average of all MCAT scores the new basis that schools are implementing beginning this application season?

Every school is free to make their own policy. If they don't make a policy, or if that policy is not clearly communicated with the admissions committee members (faculty & student volunteers) then anything can happen with regard to how MCAT scores are considered.

Every score will be shown on your AMCAS application and how people use that information will be very idiosyncratic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is free to make their own policy. If they don't make a policy, or if that policy is not clearly communicated with the admissions committee members (faculty & student volunteers) then anything can happen with regard to how MCAT scores are considered.

Every score will be shown on your AMCAS application and how people use that information will be very idiosyncratic.

So does that mean that the list from before isn't true? So I shouldn't apply to those schools? I have no shot at all?

So does that mean that the list from before isn't true? So I shouldn't apply to those schools? I have no shot at all?

You're basically applying with a 3.4/30. So few schools superscore that I wouldn't say you have a 32. You have less than 50% chance of getting in so apply accordingly knowing that.

Anyone likely to get more updates on this for 2013 cycle?

The important thin is to persevere against the odds and keep doing your best... One school will see your efforts and your ambitions will form an actual path for you to move on with your future as you hope to. Different policies, but every case is suis generis for those of us who are very much in tune with the retaking of tests until perfection is achieved. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if/how this would apply to people who have taken the old mcat and 2015 mcat?

Curious about this as well. Are old and new MCAT scores averaged? If so, how? I scored 27, 25, and 512. (In that order chronologically.)

From what i understand, the AAMC guidelines for the two MCAT exams of the same format (old and old, 2015 and 2015), averaging the two exams is the best metric. For an old and 2015 MCAT, the 2015 MCAT should be used, although schools can see all scores.

For 3 MCATs or more (regardless of whether they're new, old or combination), averaging should be used since it is a stabilizing metric. Here you would need to convert 512 into the old score, which I believe is a 32.

Medical schools may or may not follow the AAMC guidelines, but studies in academic medicine journals have consistently shown that averaging the MCAT scores is generally the best metric.

There are no data yet to tell us if the new score alone, because it tests different things, is better than taking a composite of new and old scores. It will be a few years before we have data and can take an evidence-based approach.

Reactions: 1 users
School websites explain if they take the most recent score, average of all scores, or your highest score. From what I have seen on different websites, it seems to be completely school-dependent.

School websites explain if they take the most recent score, average of all scores, or your highest score. From what I have seen on different websites, it seems to be completely school-dependent.

One school told a friend they take the highest from different sections if you apply with more than one score. That was a few years back, hopefully it's still the same.

And also interviewer/screener dependent.

This is an interesting point. So while a school can have a specific policy on, lets say, the multiple MCAT scores, a specific interviewer can have their own - possibly complete opposite - policy when addressing an applicant during an interview? That seems very, uncontrolled, if you will.

This is an interesting point. So while a school can have a specific policy on, lets say, the multiple MCAT scores, a specific interviewer can have their own - possibly complete opposite - policy when addressing an applicant during an interview? That seems very, uncontrolled, if you will.

What the interviewer says to you matters very little. Let's say you apply with a 26 and a 36. The school might have averaged the two and decided to interview you with an average of 32. The interviewer might be more interested in how you overcome a setback and might ask, "tell me about that first MCAT. " There could be follow up questions as well. It does not mean that the interviewer is judging you for your score but using the score and your decision to retake as the basis of some deeper questions about your motivation, your ability to prepare, your study skills, and so forth.

Reactions: 1 users
What the interviewer says to you matters very little. Let's say you apply with a 26 and a 36. The school might have averaged the two and decided to interview you with an average of 32. The interviewer might be more interested in how you overcome a setback and might ask, "tell me about that first MCAT. " There could be follow up questions as well. It does not mean that the interviewer is judging you for your score but using the score and your decision to retake as the basis of some deeper questions about your motivation, your ability to prepare, your study skills, and so forth.
I had 10 interviews with a 26 and 34. No one asked in any of the interviews about the difference between the 2 scores. Just my experience. I think it is the overall package.

At my school there was a faculty member who would ask about stuff like this and would reject people who took the first test under foolish conditions or reasons, like not having enough prep time.

I had 10 interviews with a 26 and 34. No one asked in any of the interviews about the difference between the 2 scores. Just my experience. I think it is the overall package.

Last edited:
The vast majority applicants are age 22-23 at the projected time of matriculation. That same group has a better than 50-50 chance (about 53-47) of being admitted. They also make up about a third of all applicants. At anticipated ages < 22 and >23 the likelihood is less than 50-50. (see Chart 10-M on page 63 in the MSAR 2012-2013).

What this tells me is that most applicants who are not applying at the first opportunity right out of college, and this includes students who are re-applying, do not have as good a chance of being admitted on average, as college seniors do.

So is it the age that is aiding the likelihood of the admission or the freshness from being right out of school. I ask because I when I finish the prereqs from the post bac program I will be right out of school because of the program. However, it isn't my original graduation, I am a change of career. I'm currently a working RN so just a tad bit older than that 22, 23.

So is it the age that is aiding the likelihood of the admission or the freshness from being right out of school. I ask because I when I finish the prereqs from the post bac program I will be right out of school because of the program. However, it isn't my original graduation, I am a change of career. I'm currently a working RN so just a tad bit older than that 22, 23.

More likely, a very large proportion of applicants who apply as rising college seniors have been focused on medical school for 3 years or more and have directed their academic preparation and other activities toward that goal.