Technology Best smart phone for interview trail (cross-country, airports, hospitals, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coup de chance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just discovered this forum and I LOVE it :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm a T-mobiler newly in the market for a smart phone to take with me on the interview trail, where I'll be traveling to the coasts and places in between.

I would like these features:

• good nation-wide internet
  • tethering option for my laptop
  • email alerts instantly (vibrate option)
  • big screen (relatively, of course)
  • Skyscape apps compatible (not a deal-breaker, but would be nice)
Any suggestions :confused:

Thanks in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I use the Nexus One. :thumbup: If you're T-Mobile make sure you look for the T-Mobile version (they also made a AT&T version). They stopped selling new ones, but you can pick them up used. In my opinion the phone is better than a iPhone 3GS and almost as good as an iPhone 4.

The new phone on T-Mobile that should do what you're asking is the G2. The only thing about tethering with the G2 is that you have to hack the phone to enable it. T-Mobile doesn't actually allow tethering on their network. But the Nexus One allows it regardless because it's the Google prototype phone and essentially everything Android can do, it does. It also gets all the Android updates the fastest, as opposed to the other phones which have to be modified specifically for each cell phone company and/or vendor before release.

I use the Nexus One. :thumbup: If you're T-Mobile make sure you look for the T-Mobile version (they also made a AT&T version). They stopped selling new ones, but you can pick them up used. In my opinion the phone is better than a iPhone 3GS and almost as good as an iPhone 4.

The new phone on T-Mobile that should do what you're asking is the G2. The only thing about tethering with the G2 is that you have to hack the phone to enable it. T-Mobile doesn't actually allow tethering on their network. But the Nexus One allows it regardless because it's the Google prototype phone and essentially everything Android can do, it does. It also gets all the Android updates the fastest, as opposed to the other phones which have to be modified specifically for each cell phone company and/or vendor before release.

Bomb stellar answer :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm going shopping (or at least scouting) tomorrow, so hopefully my T-mobile store has good options for consideration.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't let the T-mobile store people sell you on anything. Seriously. Do your research online first so you know exactly what you want. Make sure you get an Android phone with 3G (+4G optional) and WiFi. T-mobile's Edge (non-3G network) freaking sucks for data. Other options are whether it has a touch keyboard or not. Everything else is secondary. Nothing T-mobile sells is going to allow tether, but you can hack the G2 to do it and the Nexus One does tethering natively.

They won't have the Nexus One unfortunately as they've stopped selling them. If I was buying a cell phone today, I would still buy the Nexus One because it's still one of the best, most customizable phones out there, especially for T-mobile which has had a lame line-up this year.

Also keep in mind if you buy a cheap phone with a T-Mobile contract they will charge you $20/mo more. it's basically like getting the phone on a payment plan but you lose money over the 2 year contract.

Don't let the T-mobile store people sell you on anything. Seriously. Do your research online first so you know exactly what you want. Make sure you get an Android phone with 3G (+4G optional) and WiFi. T-mobile's Edge (non-3G network) freaking sucks for data. Other options are whether it has a touch keyboard or not. Everything else is secondary. Nothing T-mobile sells is going to allow tether, but you can hack the G2 to do it and the Nexus One does tethering natively.

They won't have the Nexus One unfortunately as they've stopped selling them. If I was buying a cell phone today, I would still buy the Nexus One because it's still one of the best, most customizable phones out there, especially for T-mobile which has had a lame line-up this year.

Also keep in mind if you buy a cheap phone with a T-Mobile contract they will charge you $20/mo more. it's basically like getting the phone on a payment plan but you lose money over the 2 year contract.

Awesome. You rock :thumbup::thumbup:

Just got my Samsung Vibrant yesterday ... and DAYYYUUMMMMM :thumbup::thumbup:

Go check it out at http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-vibrant-t-mobile/4505-6452_7-34129373.html
It is some goooooooood stuff.

Only thing is that I can't tether right. :(

I checked out http://samsungvibranthacks.com/samsung-vibrant-hacks/how-to-usb-tether-your-samsung-vibrant/

Apparently, I'm not the only person having trouble...

" I can't figure out how to get past the network connection error that aborts the Kies installation on Screen 4 of 5? I downloaded the US and the UK Kies versions on 10/10/10… from the US… I’m on an ATT DSL."

I just tried the UK version too, and got the same error mssg :mad:

Does anybody know how to setup the tethering :confused:

I figured out my problem. There is no "hacking" required to tether.

I called T-mo customer service. And they were quite happy to transfer me to the tech dept, who then said that technically they are not allowed to setup my tether, but they could point me in the right direction. So then they told me to use PDA net, which is freeware on the Droid Market :D

So moral of story is that I gots tethering!!!

$30/mo on T-mo with my new Samsung Vibrant 4-inch screen droid. [EDIT: $30 for unlim internet, and I dl-ed text-plus for texts]

And also I used T-mo's promotional add-a-line for free until January 2012. So this new line I added is free from now until January 2012 -- by that time, it'll be the normal $10 per line.

YEAH!!!!! I'm so happy :laugh:

Last edited: