Best speciality for someone not really interested in any field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Captain DO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Genuinely curious and also looking forward to what I imagine will be hilariously sarcastic answers.

Members don't see this ad.

You're probably looking for a very specific job that is essentially never encountered in med school. A type of job where calling yourself a doctor is a stretch at best. Something like mammogram radiology, medical examiner, travel clinic doc, etc

radiology.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
dermatology - heard that's pretty easy to get into.

Reactions: 1 users
The handful of people I know who have genuinely disliked all core rotations ended up in radiation oncology. They're probably as happy there as they would be anywhere else.

Really competitive candidate: Derm

Moderately competitive: Rads

Not competitive: Psych

Reactions: 1 user
Genuinely curious and also looking forward to what I imagine will be hilariously sarcastic answers.

Really need more info. Certainly you liked and disliked certain things about each field, regardless of a general lack of being too enthused about any given field. You also have interests you could elaborate in that you think you didn't see in any field

pmr.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Pm&R in 10 years... top 5 when it comes to competitiveness

#1 specialty for the disinterested is Anesthesia. In fact, you can apparently sleep on the job and still get paid.

girl-with-seizures-crani-no-anesthesiologist-passed-out-vaporizers-not-on.png

And thus, an ER doctor was born that day.

Short Residency, noncompetitive lower tier matching, work 3-4 days a week, see patients once and then never again unless frequent fliers, good pay for # of hours worked. Historically, it's always been ER that fell into this, now I guess people are saying gas, psych, rads since their competitiveness has decreased. Minus psych of course. Personally I wouldn't do Rads, 5 year residency + 1 year fellowship (probably be 2+ by the time you get there), attendings' can work till their 80.

And thus, an ER doctor was born that day.

Short Residency, noncompetitive lower tier matching, work 3-4 days a week, see patients once and then never again unless frequent fliers, good pay for # of hours worked. Historically, it's always been ER that fell into this, now I guess people are saying gas, psych, rads since their competitiveness has decreased. Minus psych of course. Personally I wouldn't do Rads, 5 year residency + 1 year fellowship (probably be 2+ by the time you get there), attendings' can work till their 80.
There are 80 year old radiologists who never learned to read MRIs because it wasnt around yet when they started