Best specialty/plan for the future

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the application process right now, but am kind of lost in terms of where the future of dentistry is headed. I know I have to get into dental school, get through dental school, and have a lot to learn and expose myself to, but I just kind of wanted to get a take from others about where everyone thinks dentistry may be over the next 5-30 years when I am in practice.

Being a GP is a grind, and it is most likely looking like most dentists will be working as associates or in a cooperate setting. Starting/owning a practice could definitely be a huge risk in the future, since cooperate makes so much more economic sense. So, you either need to be a good dentist and business wiz or a jack of all trades grinding dentist to be a successful GP.

I don't think that I would really be interested in any other specialty other than orthodontics, but I am not sure how bright the future of it is. (Not to mention the absolute brutal competitiveness to become one).

I understand it is super difficult to do fantastic in dental school and get into a great residency program. But, would a good plan be to just do as well as I can in dental school, expose myself to knowledge, and find out what I like? Then, if I think I have the stats for it, I apply to orthodontics residencies and/or really good GPR residencies to expand my capabilities as a GP? And, if I just don't do well enough to get into any residency then just get out and work as an associate for a few years and then see if there is a possibility to maybe open a practice if I feel confident enough in where I'm practicing and in my business skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great plan to me. Work your butt off (and then some) - that's all you can really control, ya know?

Reactions: 1 users
I am in the application process right now, but am kind of lost in terms of where the future of dentistry is headed. I know I have to get into dental school, get through dental school, and have a lot to learn and expose myself to, but I just kind of wanted to get a take from others about where everyone thinks dentistry may be over the next 5-30 years when I am in practice.

Being a GP is a grind, and it is most likely looking like most dentists will be working as associates or in a cooperate setting. Starting/owning a practice could definitely be a huge risk in the future, since cooperate makes so much more economic sense. So, you either need to be a good dentist and business wiz or a jack of all trades grinding dentist to be a successful GP.

I don't think that I would really be interested in any other specialty other than orthodontics, but I am not sure how bright the future of it is. (Not to mention the absolute brutal competitiveness to become one).

I understand it is super difficult to do fantastic in dental school and get into a great residency program. But, would a good plan be to just do as well as I can in dental school, expose myself to knowledge, and find out what I like? Then, if I think I have the stats for it, I apply to orthodontics residencies and/or really good GPR residencies to expand my capabilities as a GP? And, if I just don't do well enough to get into any residency then just get out and work as an associate for a few years and then see if there is a possibility to maybe open a practice if I feel confident enough in where I'm practicing and in my business skills?

Regardless of the job you're going to have to grind to be successful.

Aa for private practice, it's certainly more difficult but still very attainable, in today's market at least.

I wouldn't go into Ortho from all that I've read. I'm going to do more research when I talk to our Ortho department but from everything I've read it's looking bleak.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Understand that most people here, like myself, truly have very little understanding of the dentistry market. We are in school/applying to school. What jitters said above is about all anyone here can say.

Reactions: 1 users
It is common to work in a hospital as a dentist? Whether you specialize or not? I know one gp that works in one and loves it because there's less stress/responsibility of running a business.