thewza

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was wondering if someone could recommend a great sports med text. I was asked to be the doctor for a triathlon and I feel ill prepared to do this. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

dc2md

10+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2006
Chicago(ish)land
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
as a med student you're being asked to be the triathlon doc?? maybe they're just looking for some stretching of hamstrings, heat exhaustion, and sprained ankle care.

RuNnR

10+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2006
in a condo
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If i were you, I would find out what you can legally do. You're a med student, not a doctor. Reading a book about athletic injuries is WAY different from seeing/treating. It's takes experience. I'd get an experienced PT by your side to show you how to tape, ect. you don't just read about taping. it takes practice.

About the Ads

thewza

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am actually a physician for the Navy, not a med student, and looking for any advice on where to look for a good sports med text.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I am actually a physician for the Navy, not a med student, and looking for any advice on where to look for a good sports med text.

try pm-ing rehab_sports_dr. We worked the Chicago Marathon last fall and he and others took a course preparing for the event. He's also pretty familiar with triathlons.

rehab_sports_dr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Good texts in preperation for running a race:

- Freddie Fu's sports injuries text has several chapters that could be helpful. I always try to read that before I cover an event
- I know that Greg Strock and some others from Indiana wrote a chapter on this for Rehab Clin of North America recently. I haven't read the chapter, but Greg is an extremely bright guy and competitive triathlete, so it probably has some good pearls in it. The reference is:

Strock GA, Cottrell ER, Lohman JM
Triathlon. [Journal Article, Review]
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 2006 Aug; 17(3) :553-64.

- Tim Noakes has written extensively about hydration issues for endurance events. You didn't say anything about the length of the triathlon. For a sprint, hyponatremia is less likely to be a concern, but for a longer triathlon, it can be a huge deal. I would suggest reading one of his articles- a good one would be:
Dale B Speedy, Timothy D Noakes, Claudia Schneider (2001)
Exercise-associated hyponatremia: A review
Emergency Medicine Australasia 13 (1), 17–27.

- The textbook of running medicine by Francis O'Connor and Bob Wilder has a lot of useful pearls that would apply just as much to triathlon as running.

I hope that helps

rehab_sports_dr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
IMO, there are several classes of medical issues that you should be prepared for in dealing with a triathlon

- MSK bumps and bruises- important to be able to know the red flags so that you don't miss, for example, a high ankle sprain or a talar dome fracture when you think you are just looking at a sprained ankle. I wouldn't worry too much about things like taping- your job isn't to treat their MSK problems. Your job is to triage people to make sure that people who need further medical attention go to the needed resources (e.g., ER for x-rays for a suspected fracture)

- Medical issues- these are the big things- what do you do for a downed athlete. you need familiarity with what to do with an athlete who collapses- and know how to work through the differential of cardiac v. hyopnatremia v. heat stroke, etc. Paul Lento wrote an article about the downed runner that would be worth reading:

The downed runner. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2005 Aug;16(3):831-49. Lento PH, Sullivan WJ.

- Medical planning- I don't know if you are helping out or are the race director. If you are just helping out, it is sufficient to know the treatment algorithms. If you are the race director, you have to plan a bunch of other things- recruitment of other people for your medical tent, developing protocols for how you want certain medical issues addressed so you have a uniform policy (e.g., I would advise that nobody gets an IV without a serum sodium level), talking with the community resources so you know what capacity for health care is available (e.g., what the expected load will be at he local ER's and whether they have staff to handle the increased volume, are there enough ambulances to handle the race). This all depends on the size of the race- you obviously need more support for a large race like the Chicago Marathon, where there is a large expected burden on the health care system, but you don't need to worry as much about a sprint triathlon with 200 participants (although you still need to check beforehand).

thewza

10+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thank you so much rehab sports dr - that helps so much!

DOctorJay

15+ Year Member
May 8, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I was hoping we could open up this topic and make it more general in terms of texts for sports medicine (not specific to triathlons).

I have a 4th year pm&r sports med rotation coming up at Kessler and would like a good solid text to prepare for this rotation.

Thanks!

rehab_sports_dr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I really like the Freddie Fu and Stone text very much as a main text.

Ralph Buschbacher has a new edition of his sports medicine text coming out shortly, whiich I think should be pretty good.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I'm looking to buy a Sports/MSK text that I hope to use as my primary book for this topic during residency. I combed through the FAQ lists and prior threads and the list below is what I came up with. Any opinions on deciding between them or other suggestions would be appreciated.

1. Clinical Sports Medicine - by Brukner and Khan
http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Spor...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260238791&sr=8-1

2. Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, A Sports Specific Approach - by Buschbacher
http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Medici...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260239532&sr=1-1

3. Clinical Sports Medicine, Medical Management and Rehabilitation - by Frontera http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?u...eld-keywords=sports+medicine+frontera&x=0&y=0

4. Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care - by Griffin
http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Musculoskeletal-Letha-Yurko-Griffin/dp/0892033525/ref=pd_sim_b_6

5. Sports Injuries: Mechanisms, Prevention, Treatment - by Fu and David Stone http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Injuri...=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260240196&sr=1-6

Thanks

PMR2008

PM&R
10+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I own 3 of the 5. My personal favorite is Clinical sports med by Brukner and Khan. It is very comprehensive and covers all relevant topics in detail. Clincal sport med by Frontera lacks a lot of important details but is a nice quick read with good images.
Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care by Griffin is excellent. It is a really easy read and I love the format.
The other 2 books I own are "Sports Medicine: Justs the Facts (Paperback) by Francis G. O'Connor"( http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Medici...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260242834&sr=1-1 )
and
"Sports Medicine for the Primary Care Physician, Third Edition (Hardcover) Richard B. Birrer (Editor), Francis G. O'Connor"
( http://www.amazon.com/Sports-Medici...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260242913&sr=1-1 )

Overall I would recommend Clinical Sports med by Brukner and Essentials for MSK care and than supplement it with one of the two above.

rehab_sports_dr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For a general sports medicine text, I recommend residents use:

ACSM's Primary Care Sports Medicine (Hardcover)
~ Douglas B McKeag

http://www.amazon.com/ACSMs-Primary...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260321512&sr=8-1

It is comprehensive but pretty readable. It also pretty well reflects material on the sports medicine boards

For the specific question of what to read in preparation for a triathlon and event coverage, I think the resources I listed above are pretty good still

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.