Best State to practice in? future projections

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PharmLover234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to your main question, maybe Arizona, Texas, or unpopulated middle state for the highest ratio.

As of 2014 in Central California, only one of my job offers was 97k (the highest I could bargain for, originally it was 94k) and had bonuses and benefits, but I usually only saw like 10 patients a day and had hours of free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
As of now one of the main ways to be successful in Optometry is to go private practice in a rural setting. Your office hours are good and usually no weekends. The pay is still great among rural ODs.

The reason you don't hear much from them on forums is probably because they are booked out 6 weeks and too busy weekend.

So unless you plan on going more rural out of school , at this point Optometry probably isn't worth it. If you plan on living the city life which is fine, plan on making MAYBE 100K working late nights and weekends.

Reactions: 2 users
As of now one of the main ways to be successful in Optometry is to go private practice in a rural setting. Your office hours are good and usually no weekends. The pay is still great among rural ODs.

The reason you don't hear much from them on forums is probably because they are booked out 6 weeks and too busy weekend.

So unless you plan on going more rural out of school , at this point Optometry probably isn't worth it. If you plan on living the city life which is fine, plan on making MAYBE 100K working late nights and weekends.
I actually am from rural KY and planned on doing something similar. Thanks for the insight!

I actually am from rural KY and planned on doing something similar. Thanks for the insight!
It is not unrealistic to make >$200K by being a partner in a rural private practice. A lot of people go to school and get used to having the city entertainment and restaurants.

So it comes down to would you rather have a nice lifestyle (city) or more money usually.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.