Best States for Anesthesiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
400k? Think a lot lower in NYC. I know of one major academic institution in NYC that starts you at low 200s base. You have to take a lot of extra call to break 300.

Ivory tower doesn't look so shiny from here.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no difference between opt out states and non opt out states. All states are effectively opt out. just go where you want to be....

This was my question, what's the difference? In non-opt out states the Surgeon signs off on their cases, whereas, opt-out states no need for MD sign off?

Jebus. How hard are these attendings working in NYU/cornell/columbia. How do they even have enough attending anesthesiologists. who would work there...

Lots of people do. Some are from there, tied down there due to family, love the city more than money, or would rather live modestly than comfortably or lavishly. There are also some who marry into money or have banker spouses so their modest income just pays for vacation and private school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of people do. Some are from there, tied down there due to family, love the city more than money, or would rather live modestly than comfortably or lavishly. There are also some who marry into money or have banker spouses so their modest income just pays for vacation and private school.

I guess what i mean is nyc has a ton of hospitals. why work for those 3.

Because residents do all the work for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I guess what i mean is nyc has a ton of hospitals. why work for those 3.

NYC does have a ton of hospitals, but only a few hospital systems. There are not many (maybe none) independent hospitals left in NYC. They are all part of the academic systems and the docs are employed by them. NYC is the perfect example of hospital consolidation driving down physician income.

Yes the programs around/near the city pay more (Westchester-NYMC/Montefiore-Bx/Rutgers NJ etc) You could still live in the city and commute to those places as some attns do just that.

Can anyone comment on the SoCal (LA/OC/SD) market? Ideally something coastal. I'm looking to head back west in a bit. From what I heard, UC's tend to pay alright and still offer pensions. I've heard salaries have fallen in SoCal Kaiser's but haven't heard exact numbers.

So I'll go ahead and tell you what I tell everyone thinking of coming here:

Don't do it. That is unless you have a really good reason to be here. I'm only here because I'm from here, and my wife is from here, and I have little kids so being near family is very important to us. Otherwise the tax burden, high COL, and waaaay to many people just isn't worth it. I'll admit though, if you can look past those things, it is a pretty kick-ass place to live. Just don't be jealous of your friends in other states that make more, work less, and retire sooner.

UC and Kaiser base pay is pretty dismal. I have friends that work in both. In either place, you can still earn a good living if you are willing to pick up extra call. With the UC's, your ability to take extra call is gonna be heavily influenced by which subspecialty call teams you are a part of and the departmental politics at play. Kaiser has had a nasty habit of only bringing people on as per diem and stringing them along that way for months to years before actually hiring you. The Kaiser pension is not as sweet as it once was. With the UC's, the ideal situation is to work at one that also covers the VA so you can collect both UC and VA retirement packages. To me, if you are willing to bust your butt at Kaiser or a UC, then you may as well just go PP. The nice thing about SoCal is that the overwhelming majority of PP jobs are MD only and (for the most part) equitable with reasonable partner tracks or none at all.

PM me if you want to more about the SoCal PP scene. But seriously evaluate why you want to come here.

Reactions: 3 users
This was my question, what's the difference? In non-opt out states the Surgeon signs off on their cases, whereas, opt-out states no need for MD sign off?

Will one of you old farts answer this for me?

How hard do the Mt Sinai attendings work? 400k for an academic job in Manhattan sounds amazing especially when NYU starts off at 200k.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do 400k as an academic attn at programs outside NYC but in the tristate area.

How hard do the Mt Sinai attendings work? 400k for an academic job in Manhattan sounds amazing especially when NYU starts off at 200k.

I think it's around 60+ hours a week. The place is super busy. Sinai recently took over St. Luke's which is Mt. Sinai west. Probably a lower case volume, but pays well I'm told.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Don't do it. That is unless you have a really good reason to be here. I'm only here because I'm from here, and my wife is from here, and I have little kids so being near family is very important to us. Otherwise the tax burden, high COL, and waaaay to many people just isn't worth it. I'll admit though, if you can look past those things, it is a pretty kick-ass place to live. Just don't be jealous of your friends in other states that make more, work less, and retire sooner.

UC and Kaiser base pay is pretty dismal. I have friends that work in both. In either place, you can still earn a good living if you are willing to pick up extra call. With the UC's, your ability to take extra call is gonna be heavily influenced by which subspecialty call teams you are a part of and the departmental politics at play. Kaiser has had a nasty habit of only bringing people on as per diem and stringing them along that way for months to years before actually hiring you. The Kaiser pension is not as sweet as it once was. With the UC's, the ideal situation is to work at one that also covers the VA so you can collect both UC and VA retirement packages. To me, if you are willing to bust your butt at Kaiser or a UC, then you may as well just go PP. The nice thing about SoCal is that the overwhelming majority of PP jobs are MD only and (for the most part) equitable with reasonable partner tracks or none at all.

PM me if you want to more about the SoCal PP scene. But seriously evaluate why you want to come here.
The most accurate post ever.
Anyone thinking of moving to California, print this post, read it every night and picture what you want your life to look like at age 60.
The only good thing about California is the weather and that's mostly the souther part.

Well, this is just peachy. I'm from the SlowCal area and my whole family, extended family, and friends live out there. Not to mention a recent mass exodus of NYC peeps to LA.

YAAAAAAAAY

~75 hrs. Extremely busy institution. 400k is after overtime/call.
NYU starts at 200k? Are they salaried or is it based on what cases they do. Basically is the 200k a base salary + you get what you do?

NYU starts at 200k? Are they salaried or is it based on what cases they do. Basically is the 200k a base salary + you get what you do?

A friend of mine who did his fellowship there was offered a full time OR job there a few years ago . The base was around 200k and with calls and weekends you made maybe 250. Things might be better now though, the job market was brutal back then.

75 hours a week! Now it makes sense lol

NYCgas are you a resident in one of the NYC programs?

Yes NYU pays less than Sinai, but you will work less. There is no point being an academic attn in the typical NYC program, unless you go to the other places I mentioned and commute.