Best stethoscope to get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UserNameNeeded said:
Every doc I've talked to told me to get the Littman Cardio II, but Littman discontinued it. So what's the next best thing?

I've tried a lot of the stethoscopes out and they all sound the same to me-- and that's not a good thing because the sound quality is terrible compared to the Littman Cardio II that I tried at the doctor's office.

Hi there,
Go any place you can try several models of scopes and pick the scope that is most comfortable and gives you the best feel.

Get a scope that will fit in your coat pocket because that's where your scope lives most of the time. Get a scope that can be wiped down with a water-soluble germicidal cleaning solution (not alcohol swipes). Get a bottle of Armor-All to keep at home because wiping down your scope tubing with germicide makes it less pliable and prone to cracking. Armor-All prevents this.

Get the least expensive scope that does what you need for now. Scopes get "pinched" more than any piece of equipment and laying out $300 for a replacement is a real pain.

Make sure the scope you get has both bell and diaphragm characteristics. You do not need a pediatric scope head unless you spend more 90% of your time in the NICU. Most of those isolettes will have neonate scopes hanging nearby so you don't want to put your bacteria-laden scope inside anyway.

Other than the above, it just doesn't make that much difference. I have used Welch Allyn's, Littman's and the extremely cheap disposable scopes that are placed in isolation rooms. They all worked for me.

njbmd :)

Members don't see this ad.

kent does come across as a little arrogant on this topic, particuarly for a topic which is mostly subjective. i've never seen actual acoustic data comparing scopes (thought i'd be interested too). you'll hear a million different opinions and the truth is that if you have a decent stethoscope, it's not going to be an issue.

the littman cardio III is a good scope; that's not really up for debate. a lot of docs use them and it's not like they are all out there missing major gallops or ronchi. i got this scope at the beginning of my msI year and have used it throughout the summer on a rotation with no problems having actually picked up some fairly subtle stuff. if it's the scope you want, get it. it was the scope i wanted because the docs i shadowed during undergrad used it and i guess on some level, i wanted to be like them. perhaps not the greatest way to pick a medical instrument, but whatever, its all worked out.

that said, my attending this summer has the welch-allyn elite and it is a better scope than my littman. the sound quality is just noticably better; sounds are more clearly defined. i used his scope of several occasions and did notice this difference quickly. now, i should also say that using my littman cardio III i was still able to hear everything he told me to listen for and as i mentioned earlier was able to pick up some subtle stuff on my own.

kent does seem to give the impression that if you get the cardio III you'll be listening to muffled muddy noise and barely able to hear what you need to and that not really true. it is a good scope and if it wasn't it wouldn't be so widely used.

that said, the welch-allyn elite is better. in fact, the difference was enough that i'm ordering one for myself. i here that scopes tend to walk away on their own, so having a spare probably isn't the worst idea in the world.

i hope we can all just get along and raise our stethoscopes in peace instead of swinging them as weapons in the growing war between littman and welch-allyn users.

I do know that these amplifying stethescopes are incredibly superfluous. If anyone has a murmur picked up with one of these that isn't loud enough to be heard with a regular stethescope, than it likely isn't an important murmur. And if they are symptomatic for any heart problems, they are getting an echo anyway, which will be much more specific.
One of the box ads for the amplified was ICU nurses saying "I can hear lung crackles more clearly." Whoop.de.do.
If it doesn't change management, than there is no point in reporting an anomaly.

Members don't see this ad :)
IbnSina said:
I do know that these amplifying stethescopes are incredibly superfluous. If anyone has a murmur picked up with one of these that isn't loud enough to be heard with a regular stethescope, than it likely isn't an important murmur. And if they are symptomatic for any heart problems, they are getting an echo anyway, which will be much more specific.
One of the box ads for the amplified was ICU nurses saying "I can hear lung crackles more clearly." Whoop.de.do.
If it doesn't change management, than there is no point in reporting an anomaly.

You might be correct in general but for people like me with some hearing loss the amplified stethoscope works better. This is only because it's louder. It's also a bit on the bulky side, Because of that I would prefer to carry a standard stethoscope, which seems to work okay for me in a quiet environment.

I went with the Littman Master Cardiology, and I don't think that I'm going to be completely screwed for the rest of my medical career. Every cardiologist I've met has one as do most docs, so it can't be that bad of a stethoscope.

silas2642 said:
I went with the Littman Master Cardiology, and I don't think that I'm going to be completely screwed for the rest of my medical career. Every cardiologist I've met has one as do most docs, so it can't be that bad of a stethoscope.

Almost every cardiologist I've met (and I've met quite a few now) actually has had a different stethoscope. :) Thus all the major brands are probably pretty adequate, and personal preferences play as much a role as utlity. Most of the younger crowd will have Littmans, but that is likely more a matter of better marketing than better quality. Virtually no one in the hospital has electronic stethoscopes, but a case could probably be made that those provide better sound than traditional. Bottom line -- find a scope you like and can afford, and it will serve you well. By the time you need a better one, there will probably be something better on the market. In most cases, the biggest limitation is going to be inherent in the user, not the scope.

Guys I need help PLEASE.

I am starting meed school and I would like to get a Littman. Could you please tell me which one is better. The Littman III OR the littman master cardiology? Not the Master II the more expensive master. Thanks.

johndoe06 said:
I would like to get a Littman. Could you please tell me which one is better. The Littman III OR the littman master cardiology? Not the Master II the more expensive master.

If you go to the Littmann web site ( http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Littmann/stethoscope/products/search/ ), you can compare the features of the two stethoscopes side-by-side. In a nutshell, the Master Cardiology has a 7-year warranty compared to the 5-year warranty on the Cardiology III, and Littmann gives the Master Cardiology a "10" for acoustics, while the Cardiology III is given a "9." Ergo, the Master Cardiology is "better." Keep in mind that this is all more about marketing and product positioning than anything else.

As for personal preference, many people choose the Cardiology III because it's less expensive and more versatile (it has a peds diaphragm). The Master Cardiology is sleeker-looking and more comfortable to hold, but realistically intended for adult patients only.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end models... If the tunable diaphragm was really that bad, then I doubt Littmann would stay in business. That said, I just bought the 2007 Magna Fortis Metacardia LT.7 from stethoscopes.com. I've heard some good things about them. Also, I can't attest to the accuracy, but this is the only company that I've seen list acoustic testing results. (http://www.magnafortis.com/accoustic-results.html)

scotttennis said:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the high end models... If the tunable diaphragm was really that bad, then I doubt Littmann would stay in business. That said, I just bought the 2007 Magna Fortis Metacardia LT.7 from stethoscopes.com. I've heard some good things about them. Also, I can't attest to the accuracy, but this is the only company that I've seen list acoustic testing results. (http://www.magnafortis.com/accoustic-results.html)

whoa, that's an expensive scope. $320.00!!! it'd better whisper you the diagnosis!

Why not just go for an e-scope if you're going to spend that much?

I have a DRG echo digital stethoscope that I got on ebay for 299.00 and it is absolutely amazing. The eartips are actually comfortable as they are a patented gel-tip, the are covered with safeseal diaphragms that reduce spread of MRSA and other bacteria. Also, with a touch of a button it is digitally amplified X 400% and I love that because as a med student murmurs and lung sounds are hard enough to hear- not with this. I have heard murmurs in clinic that even my preceptor has not heard. If you are at all interested in Cardio or internal medicine, it is worth a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just medical student, but I've been working in EMS several years longer than I've been in medical school and so, I used a stethoscope constantly. So, here's the gist of my rant: From what I can tell, any decent stethoscope would probably get your GP's and probably even ER doc by, and ought to get you through med school.

Personally, I got a the Littmann Master Cardiology III (tunable head). I compared it to the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite and found them to be quite similar. I've actually got quite a bit of hearing loss 40% in one ear and 60% in the other and I found the Littmann to be easier to pick up certain detail on and the Welch better for others. The tunable diaphragm of the Littmann really didn't seem to affect sound quality and, honestly, had far superior quality to any of the Littmann dual heads and pretty much every other Welch Allyn I tried. Anyway, I was actually planning on buying a digital for medical school, but I found out that I could actually hear just well enough with most of the newer models from both Littmann and W/A (and I tested them on both live people and simulation equipment) even with my significant hearing loss. Obviously, I thought the Littmann was the better choice for me. But, I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

So, I think that the real trick is just being used to your equiptment. You can probably do as well a job with most decently modern stuff as the top of the line models. In my opinion, quality equipment only goes so far and only practice can take you further.

Remember, docs were diagnosing/hearing the exact same things years ago as we do today and they had far inferior equipment and you can too, if you practice enough. (then again, who has time for that during med school?)

One final note: I have always noted that one of the most dramatic changes in sound quality comes with the dual tube systems (or whatever you call it, they're the fat ones)

PS: Kent, your post kind of came off as arrogant to me too, but that's always been one of the most annoying parts about online discussions.

IbnSina said:
Good points, well said. :thumbup:

NEATOMD said:
I got a the Littmann Master Cardiology III (tunable head)...Kent, your post kind of came off as arrogant to me too

I hope you don't find it "arrogant" of me to point out that there's no such thing as a "Littmann Master Cardiology III."

KentW said:
I hope you don't find it "arrogant" of me to point out that there's no such thing as a "Littmann Master Cardiology III."
My bad, I meant "Littman Master Cardiology." It has a "tunable head" (as opposed to having two tunable heads (ie: Cardiology III)). Sorry about the confusion.

Wow...we're sure a weird bunch. Three pages on which stethoscope is best, who knows more about them, who's being arrogant, etc.

Anyway, I vote for the W-A Harvey Elite. Actually, I like the Harvey DLX much, much better (MUCH better), but I had too many patients complain about how cold it is. I was forced to switch to the Elite because it actually has rubber rings to prevent the chill factor.

Another reason I love the Harvey DLX is that it doesn't look anywhere near what a Littmann looks like, so my stethoscope never "walked away" on its own, if you know what I mean.

I just made my own stethoscope out of duct tape. Its way better* than Littman and W/A.

I'm thinking about starting a business and selling them, but I haven't decided yet if I should go with a tunable diaphragm or not (its pretty tough to simulate with duct tape)

Anyone interested in buying one?

:D

I have a Littman Cardio III and the acoustics and versatility have been great for me. Some schools have an equipment fair where both Littman and Welch Allen suppliers come in and you can actually use their stuff. Both companies make quality products so much of it boils down to personal preference. If you are a new student I would suggest waiting for this fair (if your school has one) where you can personally check out scopes and compare. Otherwise check with upperclassmen and docs. You likely won't need a scope immediately so you have a little time.

NEATOMD said:
Remember, docs were diagnosing/hearing the exact same things years ago as we do today and they had far inferior equipment and you can too, if you practice enough. (then again, who has time for that during med school?)

Let's not forget that. As someone else mentioned, the most sensitive part of the stethoscope is the part located between your ears... And that part can more than compensate for any deficiencies of the actual scope you are using...

If you are partially deaf, the electronically amplified scopes can help. If your hearing is ok, the basic Littman EMT/RN scope will work fine. It has a too long tube to the headpiece that may make it easier to maneuver for taking BPs, and you can shorten it a bit so that it has less sound attenuation. You can't do this with the double chambered scope tubes...

I use a Tycos that I like mainly because it looks good, has a solid feel, and came in a nice green tube color...

Unfortunately we have become a bit too jaded about gadgetry. Some cardiologists I know seem to have become blase about ausculation. I recall years ago as an MS3 calling in the Cards fellow to see a ward patient. I proudly presented the patient, pointing out his Quincke's Pulse and ausculatory findings of AR.... The fellow asked, "What the Hell is a Quincke's Pulse?" I gave my best MS3 explanation, assuming that I was being pimped, and determined to impress him. He just said, "We don't rely on that stuff to make a diagnosis...that's what Echo is for..."

Nick

Hello KentW,

I am going into my 4th yr and wanting to upgrade to a better steth - I have read your posts with great interest and am definitely wanting to get rid of my Littmann Cardiology III, as I feel my auscultation abilities are sub-par and definitely attribute part of it to my steth. Your recommendations seem to be strongest for either the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite or the original Littmann Cardiology II. It seems that the Elite is the way to go since it is harder to get one's hands on an old Cardiology II... however, I am still confused as to what constitutes double-lumen!

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have seen steths with two tubes going all the way down to the chestpieces, and I know Welch Allyn carries it in the Original Harvey Double-Head (http://www.welchallyn.com/medical/products/catalog/detail.asp?ID=28753) - does having these two tubes make it a better steth than the other "dual-lumen" (I don't really know what this means either) steths, such as the Elite? And, is the only real reason to go with the Elite over the DLX because of the ease of conversion to a peds bell and the non-chill rims?

I'd greatly appreciate your advice. Thank you.

I am still confused as to what constitutes double-lumen!

Most modern cardiology stethoscopes, including the various Littmann cardiology models and the WA Harvey Elite and DLX, incorporate two molded lumens inside a single tube. Some older stethoscopes, like the Original Harvey Double- and Triple-heads, as well as the HP/Philips Rappaport-Sprague, used two separate tubes. The disadvantage of the older design is more artifactual sound from the two tubes knocking together.

And, is the only real reason to go with the Elite over the DLX because of the ease of conversion to a peds bell and the non-chill rims?

Yes, that's pretty much it. The head on the Elite is also a bit more streamlined, making it easier to slide it under clothing.

Hope this helps!
Kent

I got the littman master cardio for 137. my school told us to get littmans and I don't think kent was being arrogant he has an opnion and presented the info he used to arriv there

Ok, here's a question that may have been asked ad nauseum, but I haven't stumbled upon it yet:

How long should I expect a good scope to last? I'm currently working as a medical assistant (just finished up undergrad and waiting for MCAT scores), so more than likely I'll be doing this for a little under two years before I would ideally start med school in the Fall of 2008. I have one of those dual tubed (Sprague Rappaport?) model stethoscopes, but it's kind of broken now (it was given to me used in the first place a year ago). I listened to one of the docs i work with's Welch-Allyn Harvey DLX and loved the sound quality. Granted, I only really deal with blood pressure readings right now (the doc I work with also plans on introducing me to some basic cardiopulmonary auscultation techniques while I'm working with him), but I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a more expensive one right now and hope that it will last at least 6 years or so (two years at this job and 4 through med school). I don't know if I'm umderestimating or overestimating how long it would last. I'd probably get a DLX (or maybe a Harvey Elite, a little cheaper) . . . would it be unreasonable to get that now and hope that it would still be in good/usable condition throughout med school?

Ok, here's a question that may have been asked ad nauseum, but I haven't stumbled upon it yet:

How long should I expect a good scope to last? I'm currently working as a medical assistant (just finished up undergrad and waiting for MCAT scores), so more than likely I'll be doing this for a little under two years before I would ideally start med school in the Fall of 2008. I have one of those dual tubed (Sprague Rappaport?) model stethoscopes, but it's kind of broken now (it was given to me used in the first place a year ago). I listened to one of the docs i work with's Welch-Allyn Harvey DLX and loved the sound quality. Granted, I only really deal with blood pressure readings right now (the doc I work with also plans on introducing me to some basic cardiopulmonary auscultation techniques while I'm working with him), but I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy a more expensive one right now and hope that it will last at least 6 years or so (two years at this job and 4 through med school). I don't know if I'm umderestimating or overestimating how long it would last. I'd probably get a DLX (or maybe a Harvey Elite, a little cheaper) . . . would it be unreasonable to get that now and hope that it would still be in good/usable condition throughout med school?

I guess I didn't feel too bad shelling out a lot of money (i.e. $130) to buy a nice stethoscope, because if you take care of it, medical equipment can often last you a lifetime. Do I think that I will be able to complete my medical education without losing my precious scope (despite the fact that it has my name on it) at least twice? probably not. But just in case I do manage to act like a responsible adult with my medical equipment, I did buy a nice one the first time around.

The Elite or DLX are probably a bit of overkill right now but if the docs you're working with get to showing you some of the more advanced stuff, you might be able to justify the cost. The ADC 603 or WA Professional scopes would probably be good step-up scopes for you if you want something relatively cheap but better than the Sprague. If you do decide to go with the cardiology scopes you mentioned, Welch Allyn has a 10 year warranty for those scopes and will extend it for the length of your training. And as between the two, I'd get the Elite. The acoustics aren't noticably different and while most people don't mind the metal retaining ring of the DLX, every so often you'll get someone who'll complain - even if you warm the thing first.

To continue the semantics -- gold is about $635 per ounce. The Littman MC II is at least a couple of ounces. No one should drop that much on a stethoscope no matter how good it is. :laugh:

Let 'im have it, LawD! Go for the jugular!

According to Welch-Allyn, the corrugated diaphragm is useful for detecting mid-range sounds, as it attenuates higher-pitched sounds more than a conventional diaphragm (ref: http://www2.umdnj.edu/~shindler/choirefs.htm ).

In practice, it's usually used to "survey" the precordium before "tuning in" to specific sounds using either the flat diaphragm or bell, as with the Harvey Triple-Head. If you use the corrugated diaphragm on a regular two-headed stethoscope like the Harvey Elite, you'll lose a little bit of resolution in the higher frequency range. I've tried them both, and prefer the flat diaphragm.

Interesting. My scope has the corrugated diaphragm. I kinda like hearing the sound a bit louder, though to my untrained ears I can't distinguish upper frequency sounds well. If a flat diaphragm will help, I'm all for it. So, my question is... Is it easy to change out the corrugated diaphragm for a flat diaphragm? I have the double headed DLX model which I like a lot and I don't want to buy another stethoscope. How can I change to a flat diaphragm just to test it out?

Is it easy to change out the corrugated diaphragm for a flat diaphragm? I have the double headed DLX model which I like a lot and I don't want to buy another stethoscope. How can I change to a flat diaphragm just to test it out?

I don't know about the DLX, but on the Harvey Elite, you just pull off the flexible retaining ring (it takes a little stretching), swap out the diaphrams, then replace the ring.

I don't know about the DLX, but on the Harvey Elite, you just pull off the flexible retaining ring (it takes a little stretching), swap out the diaphrams, then replace the ring.

This is true, but after doing this a few times, I decided it was too much of a pain so I bought a second diaphragm assembly from these guys: http://www.miami-med.com/harveyeliteacc.htm It comes assembled and just screws on like the pediatric diaphragm.

I think that Littmann's are the best.

I have:
1 Littman Cardiology III
1 Littman Master Classic II
1 Heine Gamma C (My old cardiology stethoscope)
2 Littmann Classic II Se (One in my closet on hospital and one in my car's emergency care bag)

Reason to that why I have so many stethoscopes is that in Finland we med-students can be working as doctors in hospital after four years. Our med-school takes six years, because we don't have your college-system. So our four years is same as your two years(college+two years of med-school).
And that is also reason to that why i can buy those things. We get paid like doctors.

I think that Littmann's are the best.

I have:
1 Littman Cardiology III
1 Littman Master Classic II
1 Heine Gamma C (My old cardiology stethoscope)
2 Littmann Classic II Se (One in my closet on hospital and one in my car's emergency care bag)

Reason to that why I have so many stethoscopes is that in Finland we med-students can be working as doctors in hospital after four years. Our med-school takes six years, because we don't have your college-system. So our four years is same as your two years(college+two years of med-school).
And that is also reason to that why i can buy those things. We get paid like doctors.

So you bought a new one every year? Did you grow out of the previous one every year?

I have bought three stethoscopes by myself(cardiology III, Gamma C and Classic II s.e.). Others has been bought by my employer.

Reason to this is that I have discovered that different kind of stethoscopes are better than others in some specialeties. For example: One-sided is best on surgical wards and emergency/ambulance and cardiology is best on internal med. wards.
Classic II s.e. was also a good basic tool on general practice.

But I have never even thought about getting electronic stethoscope. I once tried those things at the hospital and I don't like about those.

The master classic is good for paramedics, but not for medical students. You'll need a full bell.

Once you've mastered auscultation, then you can progress to a combined system, like the master cardiology.

I know thsi post is really old, but are you comparing the master cardiology or the master classic with the full bell?

I am trying to decide between

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

and

http://www.amazon.com/Littmann-Ligh...e-2450/dp/B00192PIQ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

for learning purposes and, ideally, for use in the future. Can anyone tell me which one is preferable for medical students if price isn't the factor? I figure $50 vs. $100, I'd rather get the one that will be easier to learn with. Thanks!

Both are terrible for medical students.

The first does not have a real bell. Diastolic murmurs are among the most important heart sounds that you need to be able to identify (because they suggest a major problem). And to hear a quiet diastolic murmur, you need a good deep bell.

The second one is made from plastic and is useless.

I know thsi post is really old, but are you comparing the master cardiology or the master classic with the full bell?

I am trying to decide between

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

and

http://www.amazon.com/Littmann-Ligh...e-2450/dp/B00192PIQ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

for learning purposes and, ideally, for use in the future. Can anyone tell me which one is preferable for medical students if price isn't the factor? I figure $50 vs. $100, I'd rather get the one that will be easier to learn with. Thanks!

i believe MDF are heavier but sound quality is better than Littmann

I had a Tyson from my school, which was supposed to be pretty decent, but I am blown away by the difference with the Littman Cardio III. It has both the peds and adult and although I don't feel I will use it for peds very often, it's excellent for carotid bruits, etc. It's a bit pricy, I got it at a Landau for $200.

I've seen another Littman that is more flat, it doesn't have dual bells. I am not sure which one that is or if it's better.

KentW is right. I've tested a few stethoscopes including the popular Littman Cardio III. My personal favorite is the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite. It costs about $130 and has a great sound. The device can be heavy, but the ear pieces are comfortable and individually adjustable.
where??? I wish to get the Welch Allyn Harvey Elite.....but they're all above $199....where can i get i get it for $130 or lower but a good quality?
thanks

This thread is old but steeles.com might hook you up for ~160, without the peds attachment.

This thread is old but steeles.com might hook you up for ~160, without the peds attachment.

if you say you're a student it comes with the peds attachment, though. If you can get a cheaper one on ebay it might be more worth it, since their warranty dept. is awesome.

Steeles.com is where I got my Harvey elite (and I absolutely love it), however, I have to throw in one caveat,

If you can find the shortened tube version (black neck instead of silver neck) I would highly, highly recommend you get that.

Although the Harvey elite with it's separate bell and diaphragm, and more importantly non-tunable diaphragm does seem to give me better clarity, the longer tubing on the 28" model definitely does detract slightly from the loudness. I elected to buy a separate short tubing from Welch-Allyn and change the 28" on my steth, and it really did make a difference. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Then again...I'm just a medical student and what do I know! All I know is that most of the "old-guard" cardiologists that I've talked to (You know, the old and seasoned docs that remember the times when you didn't just throw an echo at every patient you see) have told me that the new littman's are not the greatest stethoscopes for cardio...they are more hype and slightly worse aucoustic differentiation. I've been recommended a few different ones including the sprague-rappaport, Littman II, and WA Harvey Elite or DLX double, and the Welch-Allyn Harvey elite is the most med-student friendly. I really love it.

Then again, as a med-student, it's not super-important which steth you get. We're med students for goshsakes! If we eventually decide to be cardios or something, then maybe we should worry about all the craziness. :p

Steeles.com is where I got my Harvey elite (and I absolutely love it), however, I have to throw in one caveat,

If you can find the shortened tube version (black neck instead of silver neck) I would highly, highly recommend you get that.

Although the Harvey elite with it's separate bell and diaphragm, and more importantly non-tunable diaphragm does seem to give me better clarity, the longer tubing on the 28" model definitely does detract slightly from the loudness. I elected to buy a separate short tubing from Welch-Allyn and change the 28" on my steth, and it really did make a difference. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Then again...I'm just a medical student and what do I know! All I know is that most of the "old-guard" cardiologists that I've talked to (You know, the old and seasoned docs that remember the times when you didn't just throw an echo at every patient you see) have told me that the new littman's are not the greatest stethoscopes for cardio...they are more hype and slightly worse aucoustic differentiation. I've been recommended a few different ones including the sprague-rappaport, Littman II, and WA Harvey Elite or DLX double, and the Welch-Allyn Harvey elite is the most med-student friendly. I really love it.

Then again, as a med-student, it's not super-important which steth you get. We're med students for goshsakes! If we eventually decide to be cardios or something, then maybe we should worry about all the craziness. :p

So you elected to have the 22", then? that's what I have, and I would fear that the 22" doesn't allow you to distance yourself sufficiently from patients. I got 28" tubing coming in the mail in case I feel that the 22" causes me to be too close to patients.

I just found an old original Littmann Cardiology 1 on Ebay! So so worth the price I paid. Very short, yes, but the sound is incredible. :D

I suppose it's a long shot, but I'll try to revive this thread...

I've read many stethoscope related threads and reviews I could find, but still have a dilemma. I'm a medical student, just started my clinical studies, and would like to buy a scope that I'll also be able to use in my future career (hopefully), thinking of internal medicine and the related specializations. There seems to be quite a consensus about Littmann Cardio I/II and Welch Allyn Elite, the problem is I can't really afford to spend more than $80 (OK maybe $100 at most). So far I haven't managed to find an affordable Littmann Cardio or WA Elite and I do need a scope ASAP, so I'm considering the following:

Welch Allyn Professional Double-Headed (can get it for a relatively cheap price);
MDF ER Premier (found one on eBay for $65);
ADC 601 or 602 (sell for around $65 on eBay);
Baum Cardiology (the cheapest of the lot, but no lifetime warranty).

The problem is that here (Romania) I can't find anything other than WA, Littmann, Riester or no-names, so I can't really try an MDF, ADC or Baum. Welch Allyn Professional looks good and is made in the USA, but it has a single lumen tube. The other three are obviously Chinese-made copies of Littmann Cardio II. I haven't found much feedback on ADC 601, MDF ER or Baum Cadiology, so perhaps someone here (Blue Dog? :confused: you seem to have tried 'em all) could help? Is any of the above preferable to the others?

Last edited:
Thanks,

I'm glad I didn't buy a Magna Fortis Epicardia that was offered on eBay.

I'm surprised no one has said it yet, the best stethoscope is the one between your ears. Seriously though, don't get one with cheap hard plastic ear pieces, but I wouldn't spend too much than that on one one either.

sscooterguy

No has said it yet because it's too friggin' obvious and we're talking about a literal stethoscope here. Idiot troll is idiot.

I'd go for the Littmann Classic II for starters. It's what I've been using and haven't got issues so far. :D

Why does everyone talk about murmurs only? IMO lung auscultation has far more day to day clinical significance than hearing murmurs, particularly for a medical student.

Also don't forget that the tubing isn't good forever. It depends on the conditions that your stethoscope is kept in but don't assume that <insert well regarded stethoscope> your <relative/friend/ebay> handed down / sold to you after years of use is ready to go if you are that concerned about quality. Of course you can replace the tubing but that isn't all that cheap.