Best Surgery SHELF text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which are the best text for the shelf exam?

• Lauwrence

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • First AID SURGERY

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • NMS SUrg

• BRS Gen Surg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Surg Recall

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Pretest Surg

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Appleton and Lang

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Blueprints (no the clinical cases one)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Absite Review OR Pestana OR NMS Casefiles or Troy Casefiles OR Platinum Vignette's

• other

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

Blue Frog

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been discussions on this in the past, but I felt a poll might be appropriate.

Members don't see this ad.

Blue Frog said:
There have been discussions on this in the past, but I felt a poll might be appropriate.

Please comment if you pick other :)

Blue Frog said:
Please comment if you pick other :)
I was reading Lawerence Subspecialties and founf that it seemed out of date...which is why i stopped using it. I also found a lot of errors. Like "Disease A often presents with symproms B, C and D. However, rarely would you see D, E and F" and it makes me wonder what else I was learning wrong. Also I would often read up on something...such as how to evaluate a kidney stone. My attending would ask me the next day and I said IVP as I had read, but he said "yeah if it were 1997" and, of course the answer is CT. It seems the answer to everything on the wards is CT whereas the answer to very few things in Lawrence is CT. I noticed that with a urology text as well that was written in 2005. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this true of all texts? Does the shelf exam seem to fall more along the lines of the texts or the ward mentality (CT CT CT.) Could it have something to do with the fact that I am at a hospital with typically wealthy patients? ...maybe its different elsewhere?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm starting to feel like I should be on the psych ward for talking to myself...anyhow, just wondering if there are pictures on the shelf exam.

Ok, maybe I AM crazy, but I just had to comment before someone else did...

Here I am complaining about errors and there are 3 already in the first few lines of my poll :rolleyes: (i need that blushing smiley from AIM)

Hey Blue frog,

I will add my post to your thread just to temper the blue frog quality. I start surgery tomorrow and I am trying to figure out which books to use. I sort of like the idea of Schwartz' but I am not going into surgery and so 150 for a book I may nver use again is too much. I just like to have awesome, definitely texts for each subject.

But I am not sure other than Recall and NMS, which basic book to use. How about the Mont Reid book? that sounds pretty decent.

case files surgery is pretty good. Lawrence is good for reading about certain stuff Paws will encounter (acute abdomen, ect) but it's kind hard to read on a daily basis since Paws will be so tired when Paws come home. Paws can't go wrong with Surgery recall though.

Paws said:
Hey Blue frog,

I will add my post to your thread just to temper the blue frog quality. I start surgery tomorrow and I am trying to figure out which books to use. I sort of like the idea of Schwartz' but I am not going into surgery and so 150 for a book I may nver use again is too much. I just like to have awesome, definitely texts for each subject.

But I am not sure other than Recall and NMS, which basic book to use. How about the Mont Reid book? that sounds pretty decent.

Nabeya,

Are you making fun of me? Sometimes I like to think of paws as an alter ego, instead of just plain me. I should probably stop referring to myself in the 3rd person, tho. :p

And yes, I am way tired when I get home, nothing to eat all day but a handlful of sunflower seeds and some stale coffee. Surgical Recall looks plenty big enough for me.

Did you think it was funny?? I did.... :D
Paws said:
Nabeya,

Are you making fun of me? Sometimes I like to think of paws as an alter ego, instead of just plain me. I should probably stop referring to myself in the 3rd person, tho. :p

And yes, I am way tired when I get home, nothing to eat all day but a handlful of sunflower seeds and some stale coffee. Surgical Recall looks plenty big enough for me.

Yes, I totally did ! :)