Best Surgical Fields

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the question was for the MDs interested in the OMFS programs that may or may not offer a DDS/DMD.

Six to seven years to practice OMFS? It ain't brain surgery, is it? :)

You HAVE to have a dental degree because it is a dental specialty. Again, the MD is optional. Not too many MD grads take this route because you have to do 2-3 years of dental school during the 6-7 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the question was for the MDs interested in the OMFS programs that may or may not offer a DDS/DMD.

Six to seven years to practice OMFS? It ain't brain surgery, is it? :)

OMFS has a wide scope of practice that overlaps a bit with ENT and plastics. They are limited to the head and neck (Craniomaxillofacial complex). It is a challenging and exciting surgical field. You get training in head and neck oncology, craniomaxillofacial surgery, facial cosmetics, as well as all of the oral surg stuff (3rd molars, implants, etc). These days with lowering reimbursement for many procedures.. OMFS may give you more flexibility than other surgical fields because many of the dental billing codes for your private practice procedures (implants, wizzies, etc) are not covered by insurance and thus you get paid better for your clinic hours.. but you also have the option to become involved in the more interesting cases (H/N, cleft cases, craniomaxillofacial trauma, etc) as well. Neuro, plastics, and ent training programs all will take you 5-6 years min too. It all depends on what you're more interested in doing. If its something you want to do.. an extra year or two won't make much of a difference in the long run. I just wanted to make sure some of the med graduates knew that this was an option for them even though it may not be advertised. Med graduates are considered on a case by case basis at a handful of programs in the US. :thumbup:

How long are they? Are you actually qualified to practice dentistry afterward too, or just OFMS (and would you ever want to)?

You won't be able to practice general dentistry afterwards. You will have to limit your practice to Maxillofacial surgery. If you hold both med and dental licenses.. you can bill procedures to using one or the other billing codes though. If you don't think this would be beneficial... try reading this thread "Surgeons in Demand". :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As of this year ENTs (and I would presume any physician) can bill dental codes. Was just told this by my attending after we extracted 3 teeth during a composite resection.

OMFS is a great field, and if I went to dental school would seriously consider it. Like most specialties, however, the high end stuff pays little when compared to the bread and butter - and most people end up yanking wizzies instead of doing mandibulomaxillary advancements, flaps, etc.

As of this year ENTs (and I would presume any physician) can bill dental codes. Was just told this by my attending after we extracted 3 teeth during a composite resection.

OMFS is a great field, and if I went to dental school would seriously consider it. Like most specialties, however, the high end stuff pays little when compared to the bread and butter - and most people end up yanking wizzies instead of doing mandibulomaxillary advancements, flaps, etc.

Are you sure these are the same codes? I was under the impression you weren't able to bill for dental procedures unless you held a dental license.

Does this mean even the anesth are going to try and start billing for teeth they knock out while intubating? :)

Based on the specialities selected by residents at our hospital, many (2/3) seems to think ortho has something special to offer (not me, even though I enjoy putting a few ankles together every now and then) :smuggrin:.

J