Best textbooks

Started by kootz
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kootz

not again!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the best textbooks current students use?

Western doesn't offer a list of books, and I wanted to start thinking about the types of books I might find most helpful (if I get in! :whistle: )
 
That is a HUGE question, and is very open to interpretation and subjective opinion.

Parasitology I like Georgi's
Anatomy, I like Pasquini and Millers Guide to the Dissection of the Dog
Physiology, Nothing beat Guyton, but that is for Human Physiology, Dukes Physiology of Domestic Animals is a great additional resource, but I find the readings and diagrams incredibly dry, and wouldn't recommend it as a sole book.
For histology, any old book would do IMO
Pathology, Don't know the name, but its a HUGE book, called Pathology for Veterinary Students or something (its not in front of me, but I will edit it in at a later date).

Umm... thats about all I regularly use, other then that I just learn from provided PPT's.
 
Many schools have a "big sib" program where they pair you up with a second year student. They can better give individual advice to you about what textbooks are *really* worth your time and money. Just seeing what a lot of students eventually keep on their book shelves at their eventual clinics is going to be variable, but in general, more second year medicine/surgery type books are kept than first year books.
 
Personally, for anatomy, I think pasquini is a very good book for diagrams, but as far as for content I would have to recommend Dyce. Millers is ok but has numerous anatomical errors and mis labelings. I would recommend wheaters functional histology for a good histo book. It is for human med, but is a very good book. I also have the insanely large pathology book, but don't use it much right now as a first year.