Best Theoretical Orientation for Neuropsych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD4me

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may conjure up different opinions, but what is the ideal theoretical orientation pertaining to neuropsychology? Or is it too objective to need a theoretical orientation?

Members don't see this ad.

Experimental Psychology

GL Hammer Ph.D

Members don't see this ad :)
Cognitive psych and biological psychology. Or cognitive neuroscience.

PsyD4me said:
This may conjure up different opinions, but what is the ideal theoretical orientation pertaining to neuropsychology? Or is it too objective to need a theoretical orientation?

I imagine that you're referring to clinical neuropsychology as opposed to research neuropsychology. If this is true, then a theoretical orientation will be something that you will obtain as you go through a doctoral training program in clinical psychology, and ultimately postdoctoral specialization in clinical neuropsychology. This means that you have to take all of the APA course and practica requirements in clinical psychology BEFORE formally specializing in clinical neuropsychology. Most predoctoral training programs offer some level of academic and clinical training in neuropsychology, but in order to be formally recognized as a clinical neuropsychologist, you must complete a 2-year postdoctoral fellowship in clinical neuropsychology. Check out this website for more information: www.div40.org

Clinically, your theoretical orientation may be psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioral, eclectic, etc. However, most clinical neuropsychologists don't do much therapy and spend most of their time conducting neuropsychological assessments and writing reports. Rehabilitation settings occassionally have clinical neuropsychologists conduct assessments, write reports, and conduct psychotherapy with patients who are dealing with major life changes due to a traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, etc.

I remember reading an article a few years ago that described a training program for clinical neuropsychologists that was independent of traditional clinical psychology training. To my knowledge, no such programs exist, so in order to become a clinical neuropsychologist, you have to train as a generalist clinical psychologist and then specialize. The parallel to this model is medicine, in which everyone obtains basic medical training and then specializes during a residency/fellowship.

I would like to disagree with the above

Theoritical Orientation is an important question. I was asked it on my State examination. I told them I was an Adlerian and they asked why

Everyone has a theory you are working within. Behaviorism, etc.You will learn that in school. No rush now.

I was a neuropsychologist and worked dictating reports in LA. You need experience and training. It does not say APA. Please do not say there is only one way to this profession. There are hundreds. I had the best training and it was not APA.

Do not worrry about things long to happen. First select a school, get a generic clinical degree, then find your training and experience. They will be many options when you get to that point.

We do not have a medical model nor will we ever have one.

In practice, neuropsych is becoming very valued and important with the aging of the population. There are opportunities to specialize in a given population, like pediatric or geriatric neuropsychology.

Neuropsychology is more of a postdoctoral specialty. People typically pursue two year postdoctoral fellowships after graduation. Their graduate training tends to be more assessment focused and people who are really competitive begin to get neuropsych experience from their first practicum in graduate school. Generalism is becoming more and more difficult -- the recommendation these days is that you develop a niche.

Neuropsychologists are now increasingly expected to have their ABPP in neuropsychology (ABCN, I believe), which is the highest credential (it's board certification) in psychology at this time.