best thing to do during gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazerunner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So after applying what would be the best way to spend your gap year before you hopefully matriculate?

I have a couple opportunities, but having trouble deciding...
I have the option to live at home, or live with my good friend in a different city. Living at home would be beneficial because I could save up all money that I make, but I'm afraid I would become extremely bored because pretty much none of my friends will be around. Option two would be a lot of fun living with my best friend and a lot of my other friends will be nearby, but most money would have to go towards living expenses. Also, more job opportunities in the area with my friend. However, I have not considered what type of job I will be looking for. Medical/research related would be great, but I have a feeling I won't have a ton of luck finding one.

Money isn't a huge concern, I will likely get some help from my parents paying for medical school, and I have very little debt from undergrad. However, I might just be naïve and not fully grasp the importance of saving up as much money as possible now. But the way I see it, this is my last year before where I will have copious amounts of time to do the things I enjoy, so perhaps I should make that my first priority.

Any opinions? What would your ideal gap year be?
Also, is it imperative that I find a job somewhat related to science/medicine? Or it is enough to continue to do some clinical volunteering/shadowing if I end up with a retail job or something?

Members don't see this ad.

For my gap year I will be working and doing clinical volunteering. I would also suggest re-taking a few science classes that you got a C in.

For my gap year I will be working and doing clinical volunteering. I would also suggest re-taking a few science classes that you got a C in.

Would it really matter to retake classes at that point? I know you could update schools, but I doubt it would make much of a difference. The only benefit I see in it would be incase you don't get accepted anywhere and can reapply with a higher GPA, which I suppose is a valid reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it really matter to retake classes at that point? I know you could update schools, but I doubt it would make much of a difference. The only benefit I see in it would be incase you don't get accepted anywhere and can reapply with a higher GPA, which I suppose is a valid reason.
Yeah that's the exact reason I am re-taking classes during my gap year.

I'm applying for c/o 2020. I hope to hike the AT from March-June-ish (if not the whole thing than atleast a nice chunk of it)...it has always been something I wanted to do.

I'm applying for c/o 2020. I hope to hike the AT from March-June-ish (if not the whole thing than atleast a nice chunk of it)...it has always been something I wanted to do.
What will you be doing until March?
Sounds cool though.

I did research. I'm content with my choices.
Was it hard to find a research job? There don't seem to be many positions available near me that don't require several years of experience. Also did they know that you would only be working there for 1 year?

What will you be doing until March?
Sounds cool though.

I work/vol as a paramedic/firefighter so I figured more of the same. I love it/practically live at my station when my work sched is slow, but I'm looking for something else to add to spice things up.

As someone who went through this very process a year ago... I decided to stay in the city where I had more friends/opportunities and I don't regret it for a second. I was able to find a full time job as a lab tech making good money and keep my living expenses down to a minimum. I've saved up a few thousand and though it won't make the largest dent in what's to come as far as expenses, it'll certainly help when it comes to paying rent and fees before loans are disbursed.

My advice: go live with your friend. This is your year to relax. Take some trips and have fun. Save up some money if you can, but if your parents will help you out, that works too. I was unemployed for two months after graduating undergrad and thought I was going to end up in debt this year but you'll find the right job for you if you keep looking. I probably applied to 30+ jobs and it was stressful but worth it to find the one I'm at now! Good luck!

You should go backpacking in Europe...climb Mount Fuji in Japan...enjoy life.

As someone who went through this very process a year ago... I decided to stay in the city where I had more friends/opportunities and I don't regret it for a second. I was able to find a full time job as a lab tech making good money and keep my living expenses down to a minimum. I've saved up a few thousand and though it won't make the largest dent in what's to come as far as expenses, it'll certainly help when it comes to paying rent and fees before loans are disbursed.

My advice: go live with your friend. This is your year to relax. Take some trips and have fun. Save up some money if you can, but if your parents will help you out, that works too. I was unemployed for two months after graduating undergrad and thought I was going to end up in debt this year but you'll find the right job for you if you keep looking. I probably applied to 30+ jobs and it was stressful but worth it to find the one I'm at now! Good luck!
Thanks for your input. I think I will most likely take your advice and live in the apartment. I'm a little worried about finding a job, but hopefully it'll work out like it did with you.

You should go backpacking in Europe...climb Mount Fuji in Japan...enjoy life.
Sounds good to me! Although I'm leaning more towards South America, maybe I'll work on learning my Spanish for awhile and go down there in the Spring...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm getting whatever job will pay me the most. Volunteer somewhere with clinical relevance once a week. Read a bunch of books. :bookworm:Play a bunch of video games. Work out a lot. :punch:Go (hopefully) to interviews. Quit job toward end of gap year, travel somewhere if I saved any money. Crash at my parents for a few months before medical school starts and start learning some of the heavy memorization things I heard you got to learn year one. :borg:

1. Wait till November
2. Play Battlefront 3
3. Damn, schools already starting.

Currently debating to either apply to a scribe position and do that or join another mobile health clinic and possibly apply at a tutoring center for a job.