Best time to marry in Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tazdevil52

Going to Medical School!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to marry in med school?
I have been told that between the first and second year is best cuz you have three months that you dont have between second and third due to step I but is it possible to do it besides that summer?
We live in South Florida and summer time is to F***ing hot to marry, sweaty in all the pictures, tuxes and dresses are like sweat suits (read death traps).
Is there sufficient time on Christmas break for wedding and honey moon?

Members don't see this ad.

The Christmas break sounds like a good time. Most places seem like they get about three and half weeks for the break. The ceremony and honeymoon is one thing. What about the planning? It would seem difficult to plan a wedding during your first semester, unless you have a planner/family friend support. What about postponing your honeymoon? Marry in a cooler month - spring break...honeymoon in the summer.

Try the medical student forums.

I imagine that summer between first and second years would be the best time to get married, but as you say the hot and humid Florida summer would make for a less than perfect wedding day... Can you perhaps have your wedding in another location? Ah, but the expense of flying in friends and family would be a financial strain. Were you thinking of having an outdoors wedding? -- Go for a fancy schmancy indoors hotel/resort style wedding or at a relative's home?

Trying to do it during winter break of first or second year would be nearly impossible because you only get around two weeks off. I would imagine fourth year wouldn't be bad since they say fourth year is the most "chill" year? Definitely not third year since that's supposed to be your busiest year.

Good luck! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
One more thing - try the allopathic forums.

tazdevil52 said:

I'm not sure, but your avatar cracks me up! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

tazdevil52 said:
I have been told that between the first and second year is best cuz you have three months that you dont have between second and third due to step I but is it possible to do it besides that summer?
We live in South Florida and summer time is to F***ing hot to marry, sweaty in all the pictures, tuxes and dresses are like sweat suits (read death traps).
congrats! :) i'd def ask the allo people. they'll give u a better idea.

I would think best time to marry would be in your fourth year, after interviewing for residencies and waiting for your match. So basically the second half of your fourth year....

I would think that the summer between 1st and 2d year is the best time, but hot summers are terrible. Def. try the allo forum.
Lucky you! I wish I had a wedding to "worry" about. That would keep my mind off of this horrible process. Congrats! :D

You can go beyond the Allo forum to the Spouses/family forum (check bottom of forum page). They can give some good advice.

tazdevil52 said:

get married inside, in air conditioning?

My bf's Christmas break b/w 1st and 2nd year was short...Like Dec. 21st-Jan 3rd. I mean that's sufficient time i guess but it's not the 3 weeks you get in undergrad. Of course this could vary.

bbtbay said:
I would think best time to marry would be in your fourth year, after interviewing for residencies and waiting for your match. So basically the second half of your fourth year....

i agree with ya, after med school, before residency is probably the best time

Members don't see this ad :)
crys20 said:
My bf's Christmas break b/w 1st and 2nd year was short...Like Dec. 21st-Jan 3rd. I mean that's sufficient time i guess but it's not the 3 weeks you get in undergrad. Of course this could vary.
At the schools that I am familiar with the winter breaks, most are of the 2 variety also.

tazdevil52 said:
between the first and second year is best cuz you have three months

Which schools have three months between years 1 and 2??? I wanna go there.

We got married winter break of my husband's first year. His break was only 2 weeks, but that's plenty of time. We didn't have a honeymoon. I was in college at the time and it wasn't even winter break for me, it was the week before finals! (I went to a Jewish school where winter break wasn't at Christmas) But that was the only time we could make it work with both of our schedules within the time frame we wanted.

Basically, as long as you're both free for at least a week, that's plenty of time to get married. Especially if you have parents who are willing to help with planning, like we did. Heck, my husband's grandfather loves to tell how he got married on a weekend pass from the army :)

Congrats, and good luck with the wedding!

Just don't do anything foolish like set the date around the time you plan on sitting your boards.

You'd be surprised to learn how many med students do this..... :scared:

Congrats and g'luck!

P.s. I love your avatar too! :D

i think after getting aid for the 4th year if that is an issue...seeing as a spouse's income can affect aid received

Thanks everyone, great advice!
Can I request that the moderator move this to the med student forum so that I can get their input or should I just repost a new thread in that forum?

the best time in my opinion would during the 4th year...when ur done interviewing at residency programs...also its a time to relax...so you can get married anytime after january of ur senior year

tazdevil52 said:

Best time to marry in medical school = right after you walk off the graduation stage. It also helps to know where you matched.

Does it really make that much difference in financial aid if she makes 35k a year

does anyone else find it funny that this question was asked to ppl who aren't even in med school?

to the OP, post this in the allopathic forum or better yet, the residency forum.