Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Best time to start application?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by mrjmoments, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mrjmoments

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello,

I'm planning on applying to pharmacy school for Fall 2017 as it will take me another year to finish my prerequisites. But before then, I'd like to manage my time efficiently.

When should I start my PharmCas application? Is there a checklist that tells you what you'll need before your application is complete? Also, I haven't taken my PCAT yet. The best time for me to prepare/take it would be the summer but I only know of the test in January. Should I start preparing to take that test, or will there be one in July of 2016?

Thank you in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nutripharma

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You should start applying next july as this july is for the Fall 2016 cycle. Your application will be deleted and so will your account I believe if you apply but don't submit this cycle. As for the PCAT, more dates come out the year goes by. I haven't taken mine as I'm taking it in October, but many have suggested to take it in the summer so you have time to study. You can start preparing now but don't buy a mass amount of material. Start off slow and focus on subjects that you know you may not do well in. That way, you are well equipped for everything. What schools do you want to apply to?

Good luck!

4. PharmHealth_KI

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The PharmCAS app cycle for Fall 2017 will open in July of 2016. I advise that all applicants start it ASAP to at least get as much, if not all, of the application done during the summer, before your next semester starts. The PharmCAS application does include a "checklist" per say and is pretty straightforward.

The PCAT should be offered during July of 2016 as there has always been one offered in July. You can take it in both January and July if you would like, but it depends on how comfortable you are, and that decision is up to you. Most schools will take your highest PCAT scores.

5. mrjmoments

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thank you both.

And I'm going to apply to University of Houston and Texas Tech.