Best time to take DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wglyell

Reaction score
I am finishing up my sophomore year. I will have completed all my Bio's, O Chem I and II, and Calc I. I have not taken Bio Chem. I plan to take Calc II during the summer. Does anyone have any advice on whether to take my DAT this summer after my sophomore year or should I take it after my junior year? Studying for the DAT while completing applications seems like a lot to do in the summer next year, but I also want to be prepared.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I would take it at the end of your sophomore year. Gives you the summer to study and the coursework that's actually covered by the DAT will be fresh. You don't need to have taken biochem to answer the relatively basic questions on it that appear on the DAT.

I am finishing up my sophomore year. I will have completed all my Bio's, O Chem I and II, and Calc I. I have not taken Bio Chem. I plan to take Calc II during the summer. Does anyone have any advice on whether to take my DAT this summer after my sophomore year or should I take it after my junior year? Studying for the DAT while completing applications seems like a lot to do in the summer next year, but I also want to be prepared.
I am a little confused, when will you be applying?

I took it the day before second semester of junior year. I studied during the fall semester and crammed during winter break. It’s not for everybody, but it worked out well for me. If I had to do it over, I would’ve studied all summer heading into my junior year and taken it before fall semester.