Best time to take research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

migi23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a current M1 interested in derm. I'm at an allopathic US medical school that unfortunately does not have a home dermatology program so I've been struggling to find research opportunities. I definitely want to take a research year but I don't know when is the best time to take it— after M2 or M3? I've heard from some fellow students that students who are interested in competitive specialties like derm and ortho usually take it after their 2nd year, why is that? I don't really know the downfalls/benefits of doing it after 2nd vs 3rd year. When do you think would be the best time to do it?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking a research year after your second year (M2) is a common choice for students interested in competitive specialties like dermatology. Here are a few reasons why this timing is often preferred:

Dedicated time for research: After completing your second year, you will have covered the fundamental coursework and basic clinical rotations. Taking a research year at this point allows you to focus solely on research without the added demands of clinical rotations.

Preparation for residency applications: The research you undertake during the research year can significantly enhance your residency application. By completing your research before the residency application process begins, you'll have concrete achievements to showcase, including publications and presentations.

Availability of mentors: Many renowned researchers and mentors may have limited availability to work with medical students during the clinical years. By starting your research year after M2, you can maximize your chances of securing a mentor who can guide you through your research project.

Timing for away rotations: If you're considering doing away rotations in dermatology during your fourth year (M4), having completed a research year after M2 can demonstrate your commitment to the field and make you a more competitive applicant.

I took mine after M2 and here's my take on it.

Research year post M2 pros and cons:
Pro: More time to study for Step 1 if you are concerned for failing.
Con: You most likely wont need this time if you've been scoring well up until this point
Con (2): Almost all formal programs require a Step 1 Pass prior to attending
Pro: Preclinical knowledge is completely intact which can be fantastic for basic science or translational research
Con: Hardly useful for clinical research
Pro: It is a nice time to take a breather after preclinical and recouperate.
Con: You must keep up with your step 1 knowledge during this year to hit the ground running when you return. Step 1 knowledge is still very valuable for shelves and clinical knowledge.
Con (kinda): You'll lose some of your clinical skills knowledge from preclinical, but found it was extremely easy to pick up again. YMMV.

Research year post M3 pros and cons:
Pro: A select few research programs may require M3 completion to attend
Pro: More time to study for and ace Step 2 (the biggest bonus, imo)
Pro: If you are failing 3rd year blocks (no longer competitive for derm) and/or find derm may not be interesting to you (found something else you love), then you don't have to spend a research year doing this (2nd biggest pro)

Pro: None of the connections you make in M3 really matter and lost connections here wont hurt you
ProL the conenctions you do make during this year will be more recent and memorable for when you actually apply to programs.
Con: May lose some of your clinical skills which are vastly more important for impressing during 4th year Sub-Is.
Con: Less time to finish your project once the year is complete. I have completed 1 publication and 1 poster since finishing my research year, which I would be less likely to do if I did my year post M3.
Con: You will need to apply during 3rd year, which is already very busy and stressful.

Pro for both: Research year is very fun and I loved the extra free time + application boosts. Good PI = Good year.
Con for both: Watching your friends move on without you. Can be awful if you tie yourself to a dead project.

In my humble opinion, I think with the Step 1 P/F change that post M3 research year is the far superior option. Step 2 prep is king and having a little extra time will be great.