Best Undergrad Major for Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

everybodylies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did what I had to do in High school to pass and nothing more. I've got a spark to learn what I can now as I just started college. Problem is...I need to learn everything. Basic Math, English, Chemistry, Biology, etc and up. What major do you think I should pick to get me well versed in the sciences so I know what I need to know. I basically have no previous crucial knowledge of said subjects, so I need a major that will get me well crafted in them, I was thinking Microbiology. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Engineering + a scattering of premed biology courses (organic chem 1/2, general biology, micro, genetics, A&P).

You need to learn how to learn, not learn "facts."

I'm inclined to agree with the post above this one, engineering or physics would be your best bet, as mentioned above, it seems like you need to learn how to learn, think, and process information, as opposed to learn trivia. Engineering and physics both teach you an alternative form of thinking, they force you too look at problems in unique and unorthodox ways, chemistry and mathematics also force you to think in this way. I was lucky enough to have engineering courses in my high school, and had a high level of exposure to that thinking method through my AP Physics courses, and 3 years of engineering courses, and now in college, my math minor, and BMB major, is helping me to refine that method of analyzing and learning, that I learned in high school.

But, don't pick something that you are not interested, because the first step, is interest, if your taking a class that you are not interested in you might do fine (i.e. bogus core classes); but if your taking a whole major in a subject you have no interest in your in trouble from the start. As you get to about sophomore year, you will find, that the motivation has to come from within. That's when you start seeing people changing their majors, and realizing, that hey maybe this isn't for me, save yourself the trouble and find something you like. Follow it through and take your pre-med courses on the side, your GPA will thank you, you will thank yourself, and you will enjoy college, and enjoy what you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the schools I am going to, have engineering...:/

I don't agree with either posters necessarily. You need to do some work before deciding your major. My advice would be to take a wide variety of classes and see what sparks your interest. Take some intro to bio, intro chem, basic math, English 101, and go from there. To go in planning to major in a hard science when you have never take a calc class, or high school biology etc. is a little preemptive. If after a few intro classes you find you want to do engineering, then go for it.

Biochemistry may be a good choice. You'd get a lot of exposure to calculus, physics, physical chemistry, and molecular biology. But that is a pretty hardcore major, if you end up not liking math or physics.

Microbiology would be a good major if that's what you're interested in. Either way, you'll be taking a year of all those subjects for your pre-reqs, so you might not even need to worry too hard about picking a major.

My vote is for Biochemistry, but I suppose i'm a bit biased because my undergrad is Biochem. But I have had so many different types of classes, I feel as though i'm very well rounded. I've had high level biology courses such as Genetics and Histology and I've had high level Chemistry courses such as Biochemistry and Quantitative Analysis. Even classes in Humanities and Fine Arts.

Like the user above me said, if you hate math, I wouldn't recommend it, but then again, if you're willing to go into engineering, math must not be a problem for you.

Computational Biology features a large amount of hard sciences plus mathematics and statistical analysis. Computer science is a bit harder than plain Biology or a focused Biology core, but CS is great for problem-solving skills and thinking out of the box.

Don't declare a major yet. Just start taking the pre-med reqs (start with math/Gchem/Gbio). By the end of your first year you may have a better idea of which subject you would be most interested in taking the majority of your upper devision electives. For now though, there's no need for you to claim a major, especially with the high likelihood that you would end up changing it later. Just wait to see what you enjoy most before declaring.

Right now I'm taking Pre-Reqs for this 2-year Radiography program that my school offers. I just haven't figured out which path I want to choose. I want something in the medical field definitely. I wanted to get a degree before I move somewhere else for a better school. I feel so insecure about moving somewhere without any certifications or degrees to get me a decent job. My path choices are Radiography...eventually leading into Radiation Therapy then Dosimetry. Nursing....and then....Doctor...obviously. I'm just so new to all of this...I feel like I'm out of place because everyone else had this affinity for Chemistry/Biology in High School. I'm a computer/tech junkie. That's what I excelled in...but after time I realized I like it as a hobby...and don't want to fix people's computers or repair networks for a living. I want something with more meaning and I tried to find something that mixes technology with medicine that doesn't pay absolute crap. I'm not all about the money, but I want a profession that allows me to deposit a paycheck into the bank and not waste every single one on bills. That's why I thought of Radiography. I know about Radiologists....but do they even really deal with technology other than reading the scans?

I did what I had to do in High school to pass and nothing more. I've got a spark to learn what I can now as I just started college. Problem is...I need to learn everything. Basic Math, English, Chemistry, Biology, etc and up. What major do you think I should pick to get me well versed in the sciences so I know what I need to know. I basically have no previous crucial knowledge of said subjects, so I need a major that will get me well crafted in them, I was thinking Microbiology. Any suggestions?

Chemical Engineering with Bio Background

You got everything.

Math/Physics/Computers/Biology/Chemistry/Organic Chemistry/Physical Chemisty/Cost Analysis/Optimization/Modeling/Problem Solving/How to make alcohol/How to make drugs\

And if you fail on your application, you still have the highest paid undergraduate career.

Chemical Engineering with Bio Background

You got everything.

Math/Physics/Computers/Biology/Chemistry/Organic Chemistry/Physical Chemisty/Cost Analysis/Optimization/Modeling/Problem Solving/How to make alcohol/How to make drugs\

And if you fail on your application, you still have the highest paid undergraduate career.

And your chance of getting a high GPA drops greatly.

Right now I'm taking Pre-Reqs for this 2-year Radiography program that my school offers. I just haven't figured out which path I want to choose. I want something in the medical field definitely. I wanted to get a degree before I move somewhere else for a better school. I feel so insecure about moving somewhere without any certifications or degrees to get me a decent job. My path choices are Radiography...eventually leading into Radiation Therapy then Dosimetry. Nursing....and then....Doctor...obviously. I'm just so new to all of this...I feel like I'm out of place because everyone else had this affinity for Chemistry/Biology in High School. I'm a computer/tech junkie. That's what I excelled in...but after time I realized I like it as a hobby...and don't want to fix people's computers or repair networks for a living. I want something with more meaning and I tried to find something that mixes technology with medicine that doesn't pay absolute crap. I'm not all about the money, but I want a profession that allows me to deposit a paycheck into the bank and not waste every single one on bills. That's why I thought of Radiography. I know about Radiologists....but do they even really deal with technology other than reading the scans?

Most people don't use nursing as a stepping stone to becoming a doctor. Doing radiography then radiation therapy then dosimetry then nursing then medical school is a very convoluted way to get there. You will be pretty old at the end of it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people don't use nursing as a stepping stone to becoming a doctor. Doing radiography then radiation therapy then dosimetry then nursing then medical school is a very convoluted way to get there. You will be pretty old at the end of it all.

I'm sorry..I ment the Nursing and Doctoring to be separate..I just realized it looks like I ment Nursing first then Doctor. Radiography, Nursing, or Science Based Undergrad Major + Medical School.

See if you can shadow anyone with a career you're considering: doctors, nurses, radiographers, etc. and see if the work environment of one is better for you.

See if you can shadow anyone with a career you're considering: doctors, nurses, radiographers, etc. and see if the work environment of one is better for you.

I've always wondered about that. Do I just go to a hospital and ask around? lol

If you want to learn how to think, I would suggest philosophy. Math/Physics etc. gets you to think in problem solving ways related to specific careers, rather than the world around you. For your first year try to fit in history, anthropology, economics, political science courses. Good professors in any of these subjects with get you to view the world around you differently.

Don't major in Biology/Radiography. You will learn a lot about these later in medical school, and I feel they provide the least problem solving/critical think training.

If you want to learn how to think, I would suggest philosophy. Math/Physics etc. gets you to think in problem solving ways related to specific careers, rather than the world around you. For your first year try to fit in history, anthropology, economics, political science courses. Good professors in any of these subjects with get you to view the world around you differently.

Don't major in Biology/Radiography. You will learn a lot about these later in medical school, and I feel they provide the least problem solving/critical think training.

trust me..I know how to think.... I just need knowledge of the sciences...nothing more.

trust me..I know how to think.... I just need knowledge of the sciences...nothing more.

if that's what you want, then it really doesn't matter what you major in. all that matters is the classes you take.

1. take a year of calculus, take linear algebra if possible, take multivariable calculus if possible (if you want to really understand calculus)
2. take calculus-based physics if possible (you need calculus to really understand physics)
3. take general bio and then take 1-3 upper division bio classes
4. take gchem, ochem, and an introductory biochem class, and that's enough chemistry

if that's what you want, then it really doesn't matter what you major in. all that matters is the classes you take.

1. take a year of calculus, take linear algebra if possible, take multivariable calculus if possible (if you want to really understand calculus)
2. take calculus-based physics if possible (you need calculus to really understand physics)
4. take gchem, ochem, and an introductory biochem class, and that's enough chemistry

I do want something I can fall back on in case medical school doesn't pan out. I want a clear cut path, right now...I am leaning towards Dosimetry.

I too would have to vouch for my major, biochemistry. I got a broad based scientific education. I wouldn't do engineering because the strain it can put on your GPA is horrific.

I would go with physics or math... Engineering, if you want a solid job after school.

Although I actually agree with others in that biochem seems like a major that would most incorporate a lot of the different fields in science. But if you want to learn how to think and how to analyze (and if you also want a job straight out of school), definitely go with the ones I mentioned above.

I would second that guy's recommendation of a philosophy major. You will get plenty of hard science education with your premed prereqs. And then you will get it again in med school. There is no way you can possibly study enough hard science to do anything other than possibly make your first week or two of med school easier. There really is no such thing as a head start to med school because it's such a different focus and such a vast amount of information. Just start taking classes and figure out what turns you on, then study that and be happy. It may happen that you don't want to go into med school and then at least you will be in a field you enjoy.

To sum up, there really is no strategic major to pick for med school. Do what you like; you will get tons of hard science along the way just in your prerequisites.

By the way, I can count the number of times I've used physics or calculus in the last four years of medical school on a closed fist. You have to take them for prereqs (and I actually enjoyed them), but certainly don't stress about mastering them for med school.