Best USMLE Study Material Considering Cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Funky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an international medical graduate planning to write the step 1 USMLE. I am new at getting information about USMLE and I have found a lot of information from this website.

I was wondering considering cost, what is the best USMLE study material. I already know about the Q banks and USMLEworld. What other good study materials are out there. Do people just normally take test or are there study books to use. What are the cost of this study materials.

From the posting, it seems that it is fairly decent to say that one can study within 2months to 4 months, if one is dedicated. I hope this is right.

Also, is USMLE offered at specific times of the year.

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

UWorld and FA without a doubt. You can probably find Kaplan notes online in pdf files as well.

Yes it's possible to do pretty well by studying 2-4 months hardcore. I spent a year preparing but with a prolonged break (10 months) in the middle of the preparation, studying on and off.

USMLE is offered any time of the year except first 15 days of January. Monday - Saturday, except public holidays.

Definitely use FA and a Qbank (USMLEWorld) to keep you honest. But unless you have a strong foundation FA may not make much sense. Most people usually get a path review book (Goljan or BRS) and listen to the Goljan audio. If you're worried about costs you can always pick up older editions of any review books or borrow from a library if you have access to one. Hope that helps!

My personal opinion based on SDN tips:

FA 2009
RR Path (Goljan)
UWorld
Underground Clinical Vignettes Series
BRS Physiology
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple

used books come with notes pre-written and are cheaper !

I think I am going to make FA and RR Path the MAIN books to focus on and learn well.