Best VA GPRs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billythekid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like everyone thinks that VA hospitals have the best GPR programs. There are a quite a few to pick from, but their website looks like it was constructed in the 90s: http://www.va.gov/dental/residency.asp

What VA hospitals have the best GPRs? I am hoping to gain experience placing implants. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Baltimore VA. Great program.

Im pretty sure Utah VA residents place a lot of implants. Oklahoma AEGD is a hidden gem as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Richmond is a well-rounded bread and butter program but it's 2 years and very limited implant placement.

Thanks so much for your responses. Any thoughts on the one in Minneapolis or Denver?

How hard is VA GPR? I am in Tufts dental and I am in the middle of the class rank. Is it competitive? Also how competitive is to work in VA as general dentist?

How hard is VA GPR? I am in Tufts dental and I am in the middle of the class rank. Is it competitive? Also how competitive is to work in VA as general dentist?

I'm also wondering about this.

I am currently in the lower 15% of class rankings due to heavy personal issues plaguing my studying efficiency. What is the likeliness of being matched with a AEGD or GPR programs (hoping for a VA) if I raise my ranking to decent amounts - 33% to 50%?

Baltimore VA. Great program.

Agreed. Also, VA SF and VA Long Beach.

Some bad VA programs: VA Philly, VA DC

I dont have much firsthand knowledge of others.

i did my GPR training at the baltimore va. loved the program. residents get to do all the coveted GPR stuff... implants, veneers, perio/preprosth surgeries, OR cases, etc...

as for competitiveness, the baltimore va favors maryland grads...
2013: one non-md out of seven
2012: none out of six
2011: two non-md out of six

i heard San Antonio VA is supposed to be one of the best?

Im not sure about the Philly VA but i Was told that the Program in DC Was one of the best in the area and i want to visit Both Baltimore and DC. Just wondering Of i can get some elaboration on both?? Thank you!

On the west coast, VA San Diego and VA long beach are two great programs. In the past they required high board scores and class rank, but next year would be different since board is pass/no pass.

Thanks for all the responses. I wonder if the sequestration will affect VA hospitals at all.

Im not sure about the Philly VA but i Was told that the Program in DC Was one of the best in the area and i want to visit Both Baltimore and DC. Just wondering Of i can get some elaboration on both?? Thank you!

i did my gpr in baltimore. what would you like to know?

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone go to long beach or san diego? Good implant training there? Thanks so much!

Did you and your co-residents get to place a good amount of implants?

I placed between 18-20--can't remember exactly how many but this was probably an average number among the residents. Honestly wasn't what I wanted to focus on. I realized I wanted to do specialize in endo so a lot of my focus went to endo during the GPR. If the goal is implants I think it's possible to place 25-35... just have to plan well and be proactive.