Best way of studying dog locomotion/anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunraveler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
my prac exams are due soon and i was juz wondering if u guys/gals know wats the best way to remember the myriad nerves, arteries and veins and the positions of muscles in dogs?

rote learning is not gonna save me this time :( ....

Members don't see this ad.

The only way I learned them last year was by repetition. I went to lab and my lab partner and I would just quiz each other until we knew them all correctly. I also had the color atlas of the dog (GREAT book to learn from) so when I went home I went through them all again.

Good luck!!

What really helped me was reading the dissection guide as we dissected. I know it sounds stupid, but I had classmates that just skimmed thorough found the structures that were in bold print because it made dissection move a little faster. I really think they had a harder time remembering things. When you read the book (we used miller's dissection of the dog) it will give you the location relative to other structures and that's what really helped me. And going to the lab and reviewing with other people is a must! And remember to look at different dogs (or cats or horses...) because some of those vessels/nerves do not look the same from one dog to the next. Good luck!:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Miller DOTD has a tendency to exaggerate the muscles sometimes...i went looking for the lateral digital extensor in the hind limb of the dog expecting to see a very visible muscle but it turns out to be a tiny, almost invisible thin strap of muscle near the peroneus longus...:oops:

Our midterm is coming up and it is covering tissue/forelimb/hindlimb and a few other random items that may have gotten tossed in along the way... so here's a bunch of questions I've compiled from previous final exams - might be a good study aid for some. I'll try and post some comparitive anatomy type questions from a worksheet later.

Meniscus - define/describe
Chondrocyte - define/describe*
Sagittal Plane - define/describe
Pronation - define/describe
Diaphysis - define/describe
Hyaline cartilage - define/describe
connective tissues - define/describe
nutrient foramen - define/describe
cutaneous muscle - define/describe
adduction - define/describe
Syndesmosis - define/describe
Intramembranous ossification - define/describe
deep fascia - define/describe
inguinal ligament - define/describe
synovial fluid - define/describe
sesamoid bones - define/describe*
epimysium - define/describe
endochondral ossification - define/describe
supination -define/describe
condylar joints - define/describe
aponeurosis - define/describe
intercalated discs - define/describe
osteoclasts - define/describe
fibroblasts - define/describe

Forelimb
Glenoid - define/describe
glenoid fossa - define/describe
manubrium - define/describe
Styloid process - define/describe
Scapular Spine - name muscle attachment
Greater tubercle of the humerus - name muscle attachment
mastoid process - name muscle attachment
Caudal angle of the scapula - name muscle attachment
medial humeral epicondyle - name muscle attachment
distal phalanx - name muscle attachment
olecranon process of the ulna - name muscle attachment
accessory carpal bone - name muscle attachment
radial tuberosity - name muscle attachment*
acromion of the scapula - name muscle attachment
lesser tubercle of the humerus - name muscle attachment
Name a muscle that performs flexion of the neck
Name a muscle that performs flexion of the elbow ONLY
Name a muscle that performs adduction of the wrist/carpus
Name a muscle that performs flexion of the distal interphalangeal joint
Name a muscle that causes adduction of the humerus
Name a muscle that causes extension of the shoulder AND flexion of the elbow
Name a muscle that causes extension of the carpus
Name a muscle that causes abduction of the shoulder
Name a muscle that causes flexion of the elbow joint
Name a muscle that causes extension of the metacarpophalangeal joint
Where would you find the caudal angle of the scapula?*
Where would you find the acromion?
Where would you find the lateral styloid process?
Where would you find the Olecranon process?
Where would you find Digit 1?
Most carpal motion occurs at the level of the (blank) joint.
The trochlear notch of the ulna has its circumference extended distally by the (blank) process*
The (blank) is a strong fibrous or fibrocartilage band binging the palmer aspect of the carpal bones.
The supraspinous ligament is continued in the cervical region by the long elastic (blank) ligament
The 'jugular groove' of the ventrolateral neck is formed between the (blank) and (blank) muscles*
The extensor carpi ulnaris muscle is more commonly known in dogs as the (blank)
the (blank) muscle occupies the brachial groove of the humerus
The radius articulates with the lateral part of the humeral condyle, which is known as the (blank)
The (blank) muscle connects the manubrium to the temporal and occipital bones
The tendon of origin of the biceps brachii traverses the (blank) groove of the humerus
The latissimus dorsi inserts into the (blank) tuberosity of the humerus
the only member of the triceps group which flexes the shoulder is the (blank) head of the triceps brachii
the principal antagonist of the pronator teres is the (blank)
List and briefly describe structures which are homologous with the canine brachiocephalic muscle complex in humans
List 3 examples of extrinsic muscles
Briefly define what is meant by the term 'extrinsic muscle'
List four things that are different when comparing the carpus and tarsus in a species of your choice

Hindlimb

Pubis - define/describe
Pectoral Girdle - define/describe
Malleolus - define/describe
the 'hamstring' muscles - define/describe
Cranial cruciate ligament - define/describe
sacrotuberous ligament - define/describe
Lesser trochanter - name muscle attachment
ischiatic tuberosity - name muscle attachment
pubic symphysis - name muscle attachment
wing of the ilium - name muscle attachment
supracondylar tuberosities of the femur - name muscle attachment
fibular head - name muscle attachment
pubic tubercle - name muscle attachment
iliopubic eminence of the pelvis - name muscle attachment
linea aspera of the femur - name muscle attachment
Name a muscle that causes flexion of the hip*
Name a muscle that performs extension of the hip AND flexion of the knee/stifle
Name a muscle which causes extension of the knee/stifle
Name a muscle that causes abduction of the femur*
Where would you find the metatarsophalangeal joint?
Where would you find the talus?*
Where would you find the tibial tuberosity?*
Where would you find the greater sciatic notch?
Where would you find the greater trochanter?
Where would you find the calcaneal tuber?*
Where would you find the ischiatic tuberosity?
Where would you find the iliac crest?
The (blank) is the largest of the three bones which unite to form the os coxae
The pelvic inlet is defined by the sacral promontory dorsally (posteriorly), the arcuate lines laterally, and ventrally (anteriorly) by the (blank) of the pelvis
What are three comparative differences between the pelvis of a dog and a human, give functional reasons for each
The most lateral of the 'hamstring' muscle group is the (blank)
The gemelli, internal obturator, and external obturator muscles all insert together on the (blank) fossa.
The tarsocrural joint is formed between distal articular surface of the tibia and the (blank) of the talus
The smooth crescent-shaped articular surface of the acetabulum is known as the (Blank) (Blank).
The canine gastrocnemius sesamoids are more commonly called the (blank)
The only hypaxial muscle inserting onto the femur is the (blank)
the only "long-headed" or biarticular member of the quadriceps group is the (blank) (blank)
List four things that are different when comparing the carpus and tarsus in a species of your choice
List 3 KEY comparative differences between the femur of the horse and the femur of a human, give a functional reason for each
Name the 3 principle muscles of the hamstring group and briefly explain the primary function of the group as a whole

*Questions used on multiple exams

Reactions: 1 user
We just covered a lot of that on our first anatomy exam last week. Anatomy is pretty painful but if you put in the time, and just go over things over & over it's not sooo bad. At least it's not "confusing"...

The best thing for our class (we just had a quiz coving the muscles and bones of the forelimb--next Thursday we have one on the hindlimb) was making flashcards with the name on one side and the origin, insertion, and action on the other side. Then just spending a lot of time in the lab. We formed groups with varying people all weekend and just went over the muscles again and again. My class works really well together, so that's nice. Also, the other thing was making a list of all the actions and listing the muscles that do those actions.

Eg.

Muscle actions of the pelvic limb

Tense the fascia
1. Tensor fasciae latae

Abduct the limb
1. superficial gluteal
2. middle gluteal
3. deep gluteal

Adduct the limb
1. external obtuator
2. quadratus femoris
3. gracilis
4. pectineus
5. adductor

Rotate the limb laterally at the coxal joint
1. external obturator
2. internal obturator
3. quadratus femoris

Flex the coxal joint
1. Tensor fasciae latae
2. sartarious
3. quadriceps femoris—just the rectus femoris head
4. iliopsoas

Extend the coxal joint
1. middle gluteal
2. superficial gluteal (minor)
3. piriformis
4. deep gluteal
5. quadratus femoris
6. biceps femoris
7. semitendinosus
8. semimembranosus
9. gracilis
10. adductor

Extend the genual joint
1. tense the fascia lata
2. cranial belly of the sartorius
3. quadriceps femoris—all heads (rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius, vastus medialis)
4. long digital extensor
Flex the genual joint
1. caudal belly of the sartorius
2. gracilis
3. gastrocnemius
4. superficial digital flexor
5. popliteus

Variable action on the genual joint
1. biceps femoris
2. semitendinosus
3. semimembranosus

Extend the hock joint
1. gracilis

Extend the tarsal joints
1. biceps femoris
2. semitendinosus
3. gastrocnemius
4. superficial digital flexor
5. deep digital flexor

Flex the tarsal joints
1. cranial tibial
2. long digital extensor
3. lateral digital extensor
4. peroneus longus

Extend the digital joints
1. long digital extensor
2. lateral digital extensor

Flex the digital joints
1. superficial digital flexor
2. deep digital flexor

This is great! We have a mid-term coming up in a week and a half on the this stuff (I'm at Murdoch). Thanks for posting these great study ideas. If I come up with anything I will be sure to post it.:)

I've found that you have to spend time everyday doing something with you're anatomy material, whether it be memorizing origins/insertions or drawing pictures. You can't learn this stuff overnight. Also study with your classmates by quizzing one another, as it makes studying less painful. :)

-- with a shot of vodka. It's painful...

After you study anatomy, a few drinks with friends does help retention, I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really like being a 5 year old and coloring in my little millers. it seems pretty overwhelming when you look at the black and white picture, but if you bust out the 50 piece coloring pencil set and give each muscle a different color, suddenly it doesn't seem so bad. plus, coloring is a stress reliever (at least for me:))

then once i feel okay with where the muscles are, i do flashcards for insertions and origins and actions

I'm the type of person that really needs a 3-D model in my hands to manipulate. I have trouble visualizing the way things go just looking at a book. I am finding it easier to understand the actions, insertions and terminations if I actually hold the bones in my hand. We were given a bone box, and able to take these home, so that helps.

Today, my husband quizzed me over and over on the pelvic limb, and I used my os coxa and femur to really visualize what would happen with each muscle. I also find that having someone quiz me about every aspect, from every angle really helps. For example, instead of just asking me to name the medial muscles of the thigh, he asks me to tell him the muscle group. He'll ask me "which muscle originates on the iliopubic eminence?" Things like that. It helps to avoid rote memorization.

What I'd REALLY like is a model where I could actually attach the muscles, ala Mr. Potato Head style. That, or else a layered book. Oh well.

i found drawing things over and over again really helped me with nerves, arteries and veins.

loco exam was over and it was a complete nitemare, i had the worse diarrhea on the day of the exam itself and halfway through question i was wrecked with stomach pain that was so bad that i had to chew my tongue to distract myself from the pain and i was sweating like crazy from the intense pain

i think i'm gonna fail and take supp paper:(:(

What I'd REALLY like is a model where I could actually attach the muscles, ala Mr. Potato Head style. That, or else a layered book. Oh well.

I hear you on that. I've been threatening to make one myself. I just haven't figured out how to find the time to do such a thing. Doesn't some company somewhere make plasticized models of animals with detachable muscles?

amazingly i passed and although it was one of the bottom scraping pass at least i dun have to come back during my summer holiday to do the exam...woohoo :D

Anyone here use Pasquini's anatomy book? It's called Anatomy of Domestic Animals and it's GREAT. The whole thing is just line drawings of EVERYTHING. It's like a big huge anatomy coloring book. Highly recommended. I have to second the suggestion of the Color Atlas of the Dog and Cat, it's great as well. For me, I do lots and lots of notecards and color and then just go into the lab and repetition, repetition, repetition.

It's interesting to see different orders of studying anatomy as well. At VA-MD we've done extrinsic muscles of attachment for the thoracic limb, the thoracic cavity and the abdominal cavity and we're doing repro next. We won't get to intrinsic limb muscles til next semester so I've no idea what most of you are referring too yet!! :-D

I second the comment on Pasquini's. I don't color it, but I do use it extensively. The color atlas is a good way to get familiarity with what things look like and where stuff is before you go to the lab.

i've been trying to work out the effect of rupture of the gracilis on the tarsal joint. Could anyone give me any pointers?

i've been trying to work out the effect of rupture of the gracilis on the tarsal joint. Could anyone give me any pointers?

Well, find out what the action of the gracilis muscle is and go from there

There are five muscles (six in cat) that insert on the calcanean tendon--figure out what they are.

Anyone have pointers for learning arteries/veins of the abdomen?

Anyone have pointers for learning arteries/veins of the abdomen?

Well, this is nothing unique, but what I did was to chart out the course of the aorta and the caudal vena cava, and then learn the order of the branches, and where they were found in relation to the vertebrae. Basically, I constructed a "family tree" and learned which branches had their own branches and in which order. For example, the celiac artery (the aorta's offspring, Celia ;) ) has 3 branches (or offspring), named splenic, left gastric, and hepatic. All are found just above or around the first thoracic vertebra. Learn their order. Then recognize the branches, or "offspring" of each of those and where they "live." Sometimes, the "road sign" changes on the same vessel, so learn where those changes in name take place. The trickiest one, IMO is where left and right gastroepiploic are differentiated (especially since they arise from different "parent" arteries). Some of the vessels are easier to locate where they terminate rather than where they originate, so look for them there.

Then I broke it down into organs, and learned it from the perspective of which arteries and veins supplied or drained which organs. So ask yourself where the pancreas gets its blood supply and what drains it and to where.

Not rocket science, just lots of drawing diagrams and spending hours in the lab. If anyone has a more novel or interesting way to do it, I'd love to hear it. We are now moving onto the pelvic cavity and pelvic limb and I am always in search of a way to make all this information stick.

I have those ones pretty well its the dratted epigastrics, and pudendals that seem to get me--oh well I just need to spend some quality time with millers!

Thanks!

its just i can't find the action of the gracilis muscle in any of my notes and books - its ridiculous!

its just i can't find the action of the gracilis muscle in any of my notes and books - its ridiculous!

From "little" Miller, pg 72 (6th edition): "Action: To adduct the limb, flex the stifle and extend the hip and hock"

from little miller:
ACTION: To adduct the limb, flex the stifle and extend the hip and hock. :)

so how does that effect the tarsal joint?

got ya -thank you!

you are right about that...

i see alot of loco experts here..i juz took my loco final exam...will probably fail n take supp paper...:(