Best Way To Find out about Quality of IM-PC Tracks in the Northeast?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrimaryCareDOToBe

Reaction score
I am going to be applying to IM this application cycle and I am going to apply to any IM-PC Track at universities if they have them. Also will be doing IM-Categorical if they do not offer PC track.

Just wondering how I should go about figuring out if programs have strong outpatient support or not?

I've heard from some people that IM Outpatient training can sometimes be weaker because they view it as a chore as many people want to do inpatient or subspecialize, and they see very few patients in their clinics during training.

I want a program with a strong outpatient support, and other than looking at Ratios of Inpatient:Outpatient time, are there any other factors to consider when judging these programs that I've never been to?

thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Talk to residents and faculty during interviews about their primary care exposure and see how many residents go into primary care after graduation as opposed to bailing and doing fellowship.

Also ask about training in outpatient procedures like gyn stuff, joint injections, biopsies, etc.

Talk to residents and faculty during interviews about their primary care exposure and see how many residents go into primary care after graduation as opposed to bailing and doing fellowship.

Also ask about training in outpatient procedures like gyn stuff, joint injections, biopsies, etc.

Part of me wonders why I wouldn't just pursue FM to get these procedures granted regardless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Part of me wonders why I wouldn't just pursue FM to get these procedures granted regardless.
kids, ob, that's the decision maker between IM and FM outpatient.

If you have no desire whatsoever for specialization, then FM looks more attractive. If you think you'd like doing a subspecialty, then IM is for you.

kids, ob, that's the decision maker between IM and FM outpatient.

If you have no desire whatsoever for specialization, then FM looks more attractive. If you think you'd like doing a subspecialty, then IM is for you.
Yeah honestly unless you're in like the rural midwest then OB is a waste of your training time as very few FM do enough deliveries to make it worth the extra malpractice as I understand it.

Currently I think seeing Peds pays less too BUT who knows in the future knocking out a bunch of Peds wellness visits might be the way to go if reimbursement changes etc.

I agree with asking about procedural training and trying to get a feel for the numbers people get. "Oh yeah we teach joint injections" but if you only do like 5 in your residency then you may not feel comfortable on graduation.

It’s a good question. FM obviously trains you to do see kids and OB (plus more gyn training). As a general rule, you'll learn more outpatient procedures and spend more time in clinic with FM which is a plus for primary care training. The trade off is IM will give you more inpatient training, and the ability to focus on purely adult medicine. It also gives you the option to specialize.

If you are 100% sold on primary care I'd lean towards FM unless you hate peds.

Obviously these are big generalizations but it's a good rule of thumb.

I want a program with a strong outpatient support, and other than looking at Ratios of Inpatient:Outpatient time, are there any other factors to consider when judging these programs that I've never been to?
Remember that the ACGME and ABIM do not make any distinction between primary care and traditional IM programs, meaning that they all have the same requirements for inpatient versus outpatient time, ICU time, ED rotation, etc. Once all those obligations are fulfilled, there's really not that much of a difference between primary care and traditional programs.

Any university that has a separate primary care IM program will have the resources to provide you with a robust outpatient focused training. There's a bunch in the northeast including NYU, Yale, UConn, UMass, and BU off the top of my head. I assume primary care tracks within traditional IM programs are more hit or miss in terms of outpatient training quality, but again if the program is specifically advertising it I would bet the resources are there to have a good experience, you might just have to be a bit more proactive.

The best way to get specific info is to ask specific questions on the interview day. If you care about OB exposure during residency, ask specific questions about where and how the residents get OB exposure, etc.