Best way to get from NYC to Hershey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apparition

1K Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone with experience traveling to Penn State from New York?
All I can find is the bus but with two transfers, it takes about 8-10 hours one way.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparition said:
All I can find is the bus but with two transfers, it takes about 8-10 hours one way.
Drive if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparition said:

Don't do it man. Rural PA will swallow you up and you will never be seen again!!

Seriously, try to drive on I-80. It's crappy road conditions from like mid-state to NYC, but after PA's latest shenanigans driving on I-76 will run you like 30 bucks.

dilated said:
Don't do it man. Rural PA will swallow you up and you will never be seen again!!

Seriously, try to drive on I-80. It's crappy road conditions from like mid-state to NYC, but after PA's latest shenanigans driving on I-76 will run you like 30 bucks.

I don't have a car and everyone that does is busy. So driving is out of question.
I didn't realize Hershey was so hard to access. Hmmm...maybe I should sign up for one of those tours from New York to the chocolate place and then ditch (after devouring a chocolate bar or fifty) and go to the interview.

You could rent a car... there are lots of options in NYC and it can often be cheaper than a round-trip bus. Especially when you factor in the headaches.

DeadorAlive said:
You could rent a car... there are lots of options in NYC and it can often be cheaper than a round-trip bus. Especially when you factor in the headaches.

Yeah, rent a car, just find one that has tri-state insurance and hopefully a high mileage limit. Then take the I-80 route to Hershey (there are two major cross-state highways, 80 and 76, you can get to NYC on both of them but 76 has massive tolls).

Edit: You could try to find a flight to Harrisburg, it's right by Hershey I think.

I know amtrak runs to harrisburg from philly and then you can cab it from there...I'm thinking of doing that...
Whens your interview?
i'm goin the 12th

meeko218 said:
I know amtrak runs to harrisburg from philly and then you can cab it from there...I'm thinking of doing that...
Whens your interview?
i'm goin the 12th

I don't know yet, I just got the invite today and I'm trying to figure out when I can get off work. Are you going from NYC also?

Last year I went to Harrisburg via Amtrak. It's a pain in the neck and took quite awhile, but it worked and it was easier than any flight I could find (I couldn't get a direct flight). You'll probably have to transfer in Philly, which is annoying. Also, there aren't, like, cabs at the train station...I made sure to get a hotel that had a shuttle. It's kinda hard to find a good deal there too, because it's a tourist area, but I know several people had good luck with one of the chains (maybe Comfort Inn? Sorry i don't remember). But yeah, it's kind of annoying to get there without a car, and it's a really rural area so there aren't sidewalks or anything so you'd probably need a shuttle from your hotel to the health center even if you're close by.

However, all that annoying stuff aside, I loved Penn State and if I was a PA resident I would have been there in a flash :D

Apparition said:
I don't know yet, I just got the invite today and I'm trying to figure out when I can get off work. Are you going from NYC also?

No i'm from philly.

So wouldn't recommend taking amtrak and then a cab from station huh?