Best way to get shadowing experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1TrickUnicorn

Future smilemaker
Reaction score
Im looking to get some shadowing experience before I submit my application later this summer. Whats the best way to go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Call the dental offices near you and ask if you can shadow...

Reactions: 1 users
If there are free clinics where you can get actual hand on experience near by go show them you are interested in volunteering, most don’t require any assisting experience but can be a lot more fun than looking over a dentists shoulder

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Email several dentists in your area until they respond. Have your CV updated and ready for them to read.

I would call and not email, finding the email address can be difficult and they may not even check or use the email address very often.

If calling doesn't work, dress in business casual and walk into offices and explain your interest and leave your name and number for the dentist to call back whenever it is convenient

Reactions: 3 users
The best way is to go in person to every dental office near you. Try to wear business casual outfits when you go to dental offices.

Reactions: 1 user
definitely call then email your resume.
I personally wouldn't show up to the office since they are pretty busy.

I just emailed them (some dentists actually put their personal/direct email on their website) or called (to check if they received my email, if I sent it to their designated clinic office email). Some dentists asked for my resume and then later never responded (lmao), some dentists just said yes/no. I personally thought I would be a burden to just show up unannounced and request something.