pharmagirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
For those of you that are wearing your white coats on a daily basis. How many coats do you have and how do you manage to keep it looking bright white? :laugh: I realize this isn't a forum about how to do laundry but I've noticed that mine aren't quite as white as they used to be and I could use some tips. Someone told me that we shouldn't use liquid bleach if the coat has any polyester in it because that can cause yellowing over time.

:oops: :)

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2006
Worcester, MA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I have abt 2 short sleeve and 2 long-sleeve ones.. I don't use any bleach because that will make it worse, and it does yellow with time. I just use those stain removers on the neckline and the bottom of the sleeves, where it's most dirty. However, there is not a single way to keep it white forever. Eventually, it is so dirty you're like 'forget it' and get a new one. I guess the best way to keep it white is to wash it as often as you can, or best even, don't wear it!! :p

tussionex

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
po-town, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
For those of you that are wearing your white coats on a daily basis. How many coats do you have and how do you manage to keep it looking bright white? :laugh: I realize this isn't a forum about how to do laundry but I've noticed that mine aren't quite as white as they used to be and I could use some tips. Someone told me that we shouldn't use liquid bleach if the coat has any polyester in it because that can cause yellowing over time.

:oops: :)

keep it in your closet!

About the Ads

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I have two of them. One was from my coating ceremony and one I got as a spare before rotations. Both of them are white. I hang them in the closet at the end of the day. They are washed in a Whirlpool Duet with Tide HE detergent.

genesis09

15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I use one lab coat for compounding lab, and one for everything else.

cangelilli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Maryland
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I have 2 coats, I wash them with clorox color safe bleach and they stay pretty white. I can't do regular bleach anyway because our school symbol is embroidered on it in color. Eventually, you will probably just have to buy a new one, but I find that this works pretty well!

psychoandy

10+ Year Member
Aug 30, 2005
The "don't wear it" option is the one I'm starting to lean towards. Everytime I wear mine, I get:
a.) looked at funny by residents as well as weirder "why aren't you working" looks by attendings
b.) pestered by patients/visitors walking around
c.) food or coffee stains all over
d.) dirty sleeves/neckline, but only when i wear a scrub top or t-shirt

If you really want to keep your coat fresh, sdn1977 recommended hot water and extra soap cleanin action on the sleeves and collar. I also think that if you wear collared shirts and cuff your white coat sleeves, your white coat will take more time to get gross. Plus, women totally look hotter in collared dress shirts, so everyone wins :love:

Pianopooh

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I scrub out the stains with laundry detergent and let it soak for a day or two. Then I wash it in hot water and allow it to air dry so it won't shrink. I haven't had the best experiences with bleach, so I avoid it as often as I can. The hot water and allowing detergent to soak in works pretty well so far! I remember doing calamine lotion and had pink all over my lab coat, and then a sulfur lotion and it was all yellow, and the technique I used worked to get the stains out.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.