Best way to let program know you really want to match there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SchwettieBalls

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As interview season winds down and we start to make our rank lists, do any of the current residents have any suggestions on how to let a program know that you really want to match there? I was planning on writing a card indicating that I think its a good fit and I will be ranking them number one. Sounds like "second looks" are not really recommended unless the PD suggested it on interview day.

Is it considered rude to ask an advisor/LOR writer at your home institution to call another program on your behalf?

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Merely tell folks (and write) that you hope to match at the program. Period.
An advisor can call; how the program takes it varies but its (probably) not really likely to hurt.

I asked a couple of programs if I could come for a second look and they told me I was welcome to visit but that the rank lists were already finalized. It may help for some programs but I'm not sure how much movement there is after all the faculty meet and rank applicants.

This is probably more true for the programs that have all of their interviews together in one week or consecutive days, then they meet right after and rank everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked a couple of programs if I could come for a second look and they told me I was welcome to visit but that the rank lists were already finalized. It may help for some programs but I'm not sure how much movement there is after all the faculty meet and rank applicants.

This is probably more true for the programs that have all of their interviews together in one week or consecutive days, then they meet right after and rank everyone.

I would treat the second look as an opportunity for YOU to fine-tune YOUR rank list, not as a less-than-subtle way to express your desire to match there. I personally wouldn't buy new plane tickets, etc. to arrange a second look because, as you pointed out, I don't think you are going to change their rank list by much. If you are in town for some other reason (prelim interview, for example), it would be okay to drop in after calling the program director.

One thing though, unlike your official interview day, people won't be able to cater to you or spend any meaningful time with you, perhaps with a possible exception of a resident on a research block. (A Korean would say he/she feels like "a borrowed sack of barley" ^^) Don't read too much into it; it just means that they are busy... not necessarily they are not interested in you.

is there a way to say something without sounding too desperate? Does it ever happen that a candidate who was going to be ranked highly got knocked down a few on the list because they sounded too desperate in their thank you notes? There is one program in particular that I really want to go to, but I don't want to sound too desperate. Any recommendations?
Thanks

is there a way to say something without sounding too desperate? Does it ever happen that a candidate who was going to be ranked highly got knocked down a few on the list because they sounded too desperate in their thank you notes? There is one program in particular that I really want to go to, but I don't want to sound too desperate. Any recommendations?
Thanks

well you dont want to come across as over anxious simply because the whole character issue and how you handle yourslef matters. Its easy though. Merely write that you enjoyed your day, mention one or two specifics, and say that you hope to be a part of the program.

I would think that most programs have already finalized their rank lists. I know ours was set a week after the last interview date (in Dec).