Best way to make myself an attractive applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

porgie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am far from the authority on this.. but just my hunch.
As you know, your academic record is all over the place and leaves someone reading your transcript saying something along the lines, "ok, what? Nevermind." To me, your best shot is to get into a masters program.

In one sense, that makes it harder to get into PhD programs (preferably, they take the top people straight out of undergrad so they have 4-5 years to guide/mold them). However, you're going to have to prove yourself and establish a track record that is easily understood and not all over the place. I'd say: get into the best MA/MS program you can, excel and establish your potential, and go from there. It might be hard to even get into an MA/MS program, but you have at least a shot at those. I cant imagine a PhD program taking you, to be honest.

Hmm,

I'd say work out 5 or 6 days a week. Make sure 4 of those involve resistance training of some sort. Do cardio and ab work every outing and eat a healthy diet.

As far as the academic situation, what are your career goals?

You forgot to mention to watch "What Not to Wear" on TLC.

And how exactly does one know that they want to be a psychologist when you have not really had any contact with it (or track record of interest in it, much less dedication to it) outside of a sterile university lecture hall? This will probably be running through the mind of an admissions comittee...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm,

I'd say work out 5 or 6 days a week. Make sure 4 of those involve resistance training of some sort. Do cardio and ab work every outing and eat a healthy diet.

I'd recommend a paleo diet. And consider electrolysis.

What would be the best option if my end goal is admission into a PhD in Clinical Psych at some point in the future?

I'd go with whichever of the two options you presented winds up being the cheapest. You don't want to run up a lot of debt before getting to the doctoral program, especially considering that any debt you do have will be accruing interest for those 5-6 years.

On the other hand, I think a masters program would probably give you more exposure to the type of work you'd be doing in doctoral programs. It sounds like that may be beneficial for you to make sure this is something you would actually enjoy.

No white after labor day!

I like the idea of someone taking care to eat like a caveman while being concerned about the white after labor day rule. Sounds like the set-up for a sitcom.... It may even get pretty watchable.

I like the idea of someone taking care to eat like a caveman while being concerned about the white after labor day rule. Sounds like the set-up for a sitcom.... It may even get pretty watchable.

Please use gender-neutral language, such as "cave person" because using "caveman" encourages a negative stereotype about men being primitive or stupid. We need to be PC here at all times.

As far as the OP wanting to look attractive, if the OP is female, she can't go wrong with a tight short skirt, high heels, and showing plenty of cleavage.

Oops, the caveman inside me just came out. ;)