str8flexed

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
316
1
34
Status
Medical Student
I am thinking about having friends/family give me mock interviews while I am videotaped--(so that I can view my performance later and to make it more serious).

I am also thinking about taking the 20 most common interview questions and writing out a short paragraph for each so that I know what I generally have to say about those things (my strengths, weaknesses, etc.).

Any other good ideas?
 

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
23,148
32,698
Status
Academic Administration
str8flexed said:
I am thinking about having friends/family give me mock interviews while I am videotaped--(so that I can view my performance later and to make it more serious).

I am also thinking about taking the 20 most common interview questions and writing out a short paragraph for each so that I know what I generally have to say about those things (my strengths, weaknesses, etc.).

Any other good ideas?
Do not write short paragraphs... it ends up sounding rehearsed which isn't really terrible late in the season but it is horrid when it happens in the first few weeks. Think the answers over in your mind when you have thinking time.

For mock interviews, don't ask people you know well. Get a friend to set you up with someone you don't know (their uncle or something) -- and you do the same for your friend. The point is, the mock interview should be with someone you don't know so that you have that natural nervousness that comes from talking with a stranger.
 

AggieJohn

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
688
0
34
Dallas, TX
www.aggiepremed.org
Status
Medical Student
I have a question along these lines.

I want to become more familiar with topics in medicine, how the healthcare system works in the U.S., and in general look like I'm not a complete moron who doesn't know what he's getting into. Anyone have any book/website recommendations? (Other than the Topics in Healthcare Forum which I have been visiting for a while now)
 

DoctorAck

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2005
27
0
Status
If you are an AMSA National Member you get a free subscription to the New Physician. I've had a friend (who is a rising MSI at NJMS) tell me he saved all his issues and read through them all just before interview season rolled around. They discuss a lot of important medical politics, issues, and stories in that magazine from medical students' perspectives. I think I'm definitely going to follow my friend's advice on this one.
 

notdeadyet

Still in California
Moderator
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
11,730
1,892
Status
Attending Physician
LizzyM said:
Do not write short paragraphs... it ends up sounding rehearsed
Agreed. I think researching common questions and thinking about your thoughts on each is a good plan so that you're not a deer in the headlights when it's asked, but don't script it.

LizzyM said:
For mock interviews, don't ask people you know well.
If you're still in college, most career centers have mock interviews. Only the bigger schools' premed programs do, but even a normal job interview mock interview is a lot better than nothing.

Interviewing for something you care about is a lot more nerve wracking than the job interview you nail after dropping off your resume at Borders. Any time answering, "who are you?" with strangers will be time well spent. But Lizzy's right, never friends and family. They have a vested interest in making you feel good about yourself.
 

LT2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
801
1
Status
Medical Student
just an added note for your mock interview. i think the best thing that i did for preparing was videotape one of my interviews. see if the career services office at your school gives mock interviews and ask if they can videotape them. our counselors interview us, then playback the tape to critique our mannerisms/answers, etc. it's quite embarassing to have to watch yourself, but i KNOW this was a huge factor in helping me out for my interviews.

EDIT: if you're not a current student, many career services offices will offer interviews for a small fee.

other than that, keep up with current events, and know your opinions on things. don't rehearse too much or your answers will start sounding quite programmed.

good luck! :luck:
 
OP
str8flexed

str8flexed

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2005
316
1
34
Status
Medical Student
My parents don't make me feel good about myself, ever. They always compare me to other asian families' children and tell me I am never good enough. "I am your mother, not your friend," my mother has told me once. I think holding a mock interview with them will be more nerveracking than with any admissions counseler actually. They haven't said one good thing about my PS...
 
Z

zimmie256

DoctorAck said:
If you are an AMSA National Member you get a free subscription to the New Physician. I've had a friend (who is a rising MSI at NJMS) tell me he saved all his issues and read through them all just before interview season rolled around. They discuss a lot of important medical politics, issues, and stories in that magazine from medical students' perspectives. I think I'm definitely going to follow my friend's advice on this one.
Anybody else have suggestions on reading material before interviews? Preferably stuff that's relatively readable that still has good info on US healthcare system, topics in medicine, etc.
 

LT2

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2005
801
1
Status
Medical Student
zimmie256 said:
Anybody else have suggestions on reading material before interviews? Preferably stuff that's relatively readable that still has good info on US healthcare system, topics in medicine, etc.

i subscribed to a couple of the medscape list-servs to get daily info on what's going on in as well as a newsletter called "fierce healthcare" that summarizes a couple of leading stories in medicine. this way, at the very least, i had something to glaze over every day to make sure i wasn't missing anything big...

sorry about my videotape rant earlier, i didn't read the inital post well enough to see that the OP was going to videotape themselves. :oops: