Best way to study math destroyer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmascis24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do NOT have a strong math background. I've taken only up to College Algebra and even that was 7 years ago. My first experience with a Crack Dat Math test was a score of about 13 and about 34 skipped questions. (Needless to say it was very discouraging). I've got about 5 months before I take the DAT (with a full load of classes up until about a week before).

What are some of the specific ways that you guys have tackled Destroyer (assuming similar backgrounds)? The format (a bunch of study questions) surprised me when I got it in the mail and wasn't exactly sure how to proceed.

(On a side note...this last month I set up a structured program to learn the PAT section of the DAT. I got a 14 on the first CRACK DAT practice test and got really discouraged. Feeling like it was impossible to learn, I decided to study about 30 minutes a day (15 minutes on Hole punching, 5 minutes on angles and 8 minutes on cube counting.) I've made an effort to do this more or less every day. 3 weeks ago on my first "day" I got through only 8 total hole punches and got 4 correct (in the 15 minutes). 2 days ago and today I got 15/15 on holes, 15/15 on angles and 14/15 on cubes. I know it's not much, but it has been a big boost to my confidence level.

My point is that I've become a bit of a fan of the "short and often" study method. A big fan actually. Do you guys think this would work well with Math Destroyer?

Members don't see this ad.

I do NOT have a strong math background. I've taken only up to College Algebra and even that was 7 years ago. My first experience with a Crack Dat Math test was a score of about 13 and about 34 skipped questions. (Needless to say it was very discouraging). I've got about 5 months before I take the DAT (with a full load of classes up until about a week before).

What are some of the specific ways that you guys have tackled Destroyer (assuming similar backgrounds)? The format (a bunch of study questions) surprised me when I got it in the mail and wasn't exactly sure how to proceed.

(On a side note...this last month I set up a structured program to learn the PAT section of the DAT. I got a 14 on the first CRACK DAT practice test and got really discouraged. Feeling like it was impossible to learn, I decided to study about 30 minutes a day (15 minutes on Hole punching, 5 minutes on angles and 8 minutes on cube counting.) I've made an effort to do this more or less every day. 3 weeks ago on my first "day" I got through only 8 total hole punches and got 4 correct (in the 15 minutes). 2 days ago and today I got 15/15 on holes, 15/15 on angles and 14/15 on cubes. I know it's not much, but it has been a big boost to my confidence level.

My point is that I've become a bit of a fan of the "short and often" study method. A big fan actually. Do you guys think this would work well with Math Destroyer?

From my experience, math and organic chemistry is strongly based on fundamentals. If you didn't have a strong foundation, it's not too late. I would suggest using the SAT II math books to brush up on your basics before doing the Math destroyer, if you feel your math is lacking. But don't spend too much time on the basic books. If I were you I would review the basics and do 1 practice test from math destroyer and get a feedback on where you still need to review based on the type of questions you got wrong. When you're confident enough, drop the review and just do the practice tests and try to understand how the answer was derived. Then review only the areas you got wrong.

The best way to study math Destroyer?
First go over the basics before you tackle the destroyer otherwise you will get discouraged. any algebra book will do. go over fractions basic geometry etc....
when you do the destroyer go over each problem and take as much time as you can to solve it. If you can't go over the solution and proceed. Once you finish a whole test give yourself a nice break and try to do it again but this time make sure you time urself. spend more time on word problems because they usually are the ones that take more time to solve. I'm using the same approach for organic ( my weakest subject) and i'm starting to see good results.
hope this helps

your best bet will be to do ur basic math review and then do the math destroyer problems some of them or most of them will be hard so first do them with taking ur time and understand them and all that is done then start timing yourself once you've made that base of understanding and things will start becoming easier for you....good luck

If you have a weak background in MATH you can build on it but you will need to put about 2-3 hours of math every day.

Here is what I would do. Every day, do only 20 problems of the MATH desteoyer book. Don't time yourself, but read the problem, and try your best to get to the answer each time. Even if it takes you 15 minutes of writting and scratching, keep trying. When you finally give up on a problem, read the answer, and see the solution to the problem. Try to underestand HOW THEY ARRIVED to the solution, don't memorize the solution. After a few weeks of doing this, your mentality is going to "turn on" mathematically. the first few weeks your going to suck at doing these problems, but TRUST ME you WILL GET BETTER.

If you come accross a problem and you don't underestand the solution, come back here and post your problem, and Im sure some of us will be able to help you underestand the solution