Best way to transition to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacholiver

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting medical school in the Fall, realize it's going to be hard.

Med students: Any tips on things to do to make this transition a bit easier? I.E. sit in on some undergrad anatomy lectures?

P.S. Refrain from saying "relax". I AM going to relax. I want some actual advice to make this transition easier. (AKA bye bye trolls!)

Forum moderators: I realize this is in the wrong forum. I plan to post this discussion in the medical students thread so please close THIS thread instead of the other for "cross-posting"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Be organized. Keep a structured study schedule. Work with other students. Stay healthy (exercise and relaxation).

Reactions: 1 users
Be organized. Keep a structured study schedule. Work with other students. Stay healthy (exercise and relaxation).
Great idea. Thanks! Did you find your study habits changed from pre-med > med? Obviously the time commitment goes up, but does the general study habit change? (Do you need to think about the material differently?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Great idea. Thanks! Did you find your study habits changed from pre-med > med? Obviously the time commitment goes up, but does the general study habit change? (Do you need to think about the material differently?)

I was a weird 'pre-med' since I was an engineering major so I was used to studying a lot. While the principles still apply, I think I've become a bit more efficient at studying since med school. The material is different but I try to make connections with the knowledge I had from undergrad. Also understand that a ton of info is being thrown at you - don't kill yourself trying to memorize everything at once (you will definitely see it more than once lol). Break up your studying and use spaced repetition (e.g. Anki).

Forum moderators
I was a weird 'pre-med' since I was an engineering major so I was used to studying a lot. While the principles still apply, I think I've become a bit more efficient at studying since med school. The material is different but I try to make connections with the knowledge I had from undergrad. Also understand that a ton of info is being thrown at you - don't kill yourself trying to memorize everything at once (you will definitely see it more than once lol). Break up your studying and use spaced repetition (e.g. Anki).

That's actually a good point. I feel like I have an obligation to my future patients to try to learn as much as I can. I realize this is NOT possible to learn everything given in medical school. How do I differentiate what is worth knowing and what really isn't?

Enjoy your life because you'll hate yourself for not doing so later. If you really want something med related to do, undergrad anatomy won't help you at all. The level to which they cover it is pathetically shallow. Watch Aclund's Anatomy for a good idea of the level to which you'll need to know gross features (which are only about a quarter of anatomy- it doesn't teach you the innervation, blood supply, function, etc of everything). Essential Anatomy for tablet is also a pretty sweet resource. But honestly you're kind of wasting your time, I wouldn't recommend it for reasons that will soon become apparent.

Forum moderators

That's actually a good point. I feel like I have an obligation to my future patients to try to learn as much as I can. I realize this is NOT possible to learn everything given in medical school. How do I differentiate what is worth knowing and what really isn't?
You will never know what is worth knowing and what isn't until you need something and it either is or isn't there. Medical school will give you the tips to at least know where to look when you're at a loss, however.

Be ready to change and adjust your study routine until you figure out what works for you. It's been said a lot on this forum and it's true - that what works in undergrad may not work for you in medical school. It took me half a semester (entire anatomy course) to see what worked for me. Try different methods and see what sticks, and don't be afraid if you don't instantly find your groove.

Have lots of intercourse

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks all (except 9909) for your input. I appreciate it

Forum moderators: I realize this is in the wrong forum. I plan to post this discussion in the medical students thread so please close THIS thread instead of the other for "cross-posting"

It's actually in the right forum here. Your topic pertains to pre-meds, whereas the Allopathic forum is for topics pertaining to current medical students. Many medical students frequent pre-allo, and if you do a search, you will find literally hundreds of threads that ask the same question.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's actually in the right forum here. Your topic pertains to pre-meds, whereas the Allopathic forum is for topics pertaining to current medical students. Many medical students frequent pre-allo, and if you do a search, you will find literally hundreds of threads that ask the same question.
Thanks.

Maybe OP should hone his research skills before matriculating ;)

Maybe OP should hone his research skills before matriculating ;)
This is a pre-med thread for asking questions about medical school. Maybe YOU should not post here as a troll? TY THNX BAI

Jesus you do need to relax lol

maybe you need more, kid :D
Figured lots of people would not be helpful and just attack me for asking a simple question (P.S. are you a medical student - no? damn - didn't read the initial post. Too bad.)

Figured lots of people would not be helpful and just attack me for asking a simple question (P.S. are you a medical student - no? damn - didn't read the initial post. Too bad.)
No one attacked you, it was just a tease. Lighten up

How do you plan to be best prepared for med school?
Read a lot of fiction. Take a few months off before school and travel. Think hard about the academic and professional standards I want to live by. Establish a good work out routine and dietary cuisine. Spend time with friends.

Reactions: 2 users
Get engaged/married to someone who doesn't mind living with you and doing a lot of laundry/cleaning/cooking/grocery shopping. That made my transition a hell of a lot easier (bless her heart, I'm thankful every day).

For realz tho, seriously the best way to ease the transition is just to come in with an open mind and be relaxed. Do things you enjoy, be it reading, hiking, traveling, etc. The best way to succeed in medical school is to not burn out. Seriously. No matter what you want to do in med school (gun hard, little above average, or just barely pass), the best way to ensure you CAN reach your goal is to avoid burnout at all costs. And the best way to avoid burnout is to make the best use of your free time when you have it. Honestly, the thing that really helped me ease into medical school was being relaxed and happy because I had just spent the whole summer doing things I liked. Thus I was able to focus better for studying much longer than i ever had before in my life, and not burn out quickly.

Seriously, the reason why it's repeated ad nauseum on this board is because it's actually the truth. The best way to transition into medical school is to be HAPPY. Literally nothing else you can do ahead of time will give you an advantage whatsoever, but being happy will give you a tremendous advantage. Take the advice from people who have done it.

Reactions: 7 users
Get engaged/married to someone who doesn't mind living with you and doing a lot of laundry/cleaning/cooking/grocery shopping. That made my transition a hell of a lot easier (bless her heart, I'm thankful every day).

For realz tho, seriously the best way to ease the transition is just to come in with an open mind and be relaxed. Do things you enjoy, be it reading, hiking, traveling, etc. The best way to succeed in medical school is to not burn out. Seriously. No matter what you want to do in med school (gun hard, little above average, or just barely pass), the best way to ensure you CAN reach your goal is to avoid burnout at all costs. And the best way to avoid burnout is to make the best use of your free time when you have it. Honestly, the thing that really helped me ease into medical school was being relaxed and happy because I had just spent the whole summer doing things I liked. Thus I was able to focus better for studying much longer than i ever had before in my life, and not burn out quickly.

Seriously, the reason why it's repeated ad nauseum on this board is because it's actually the truth. The best way to transition into medical school is to be HAPPY. Literally nothing else you can do ahead of time will give you an advantage whatsoever, but being happy will give you a tremendous advantage. Take the advice from people who have done it.
Cheers - point taken. Thanks.

Keep an open mind and be ready to adapt. Seriously, if you get into med school, there isn't much you need to do to help with the transition besides waiting to figure it out along the way. Get an apartment early and explore the area around the school.

studying will come,

I'm trying to walk in with a couple pubs under my belt, explore fields you may be interested and look into how you should network

Med students: Any tips on things to do to make this transition a bit easier? I.E. sit in on some undergrad anatomy lectures?

P.S. Refrain from saying "relax". I AM going to relax. I want some actual advice to make this transition easier. (AKA bye bye trolls!)

Take immuno, buy Netters Anatomy Coloring book. Contact some upper classmen IU and ask them for tips about the curriculum. Look at the various research labs at IU an see what interest you and perhaps contact the PI to see if you can jump in when you start school.

You really don't need to go gun ho on "preparing" because there is nothing nothing nothing that will prepare you for the course load. I suggest immune because it shows up everywhere in our classes and its good to just grasp the language of immune if you haven't taken it already.

studying will come,

I'm trying to walk in with a couple pubs under my belt, explore fields you may be interested and look into how you should network

Sweet humblebrag.

For the OP, I'm planning on chilling and traveling so I can go in more motivated and avoid burnout like another poster said. I'm also doing a little research on studying techniques and potentially useful resources but not intensively, plus taking some non-medically related MOOCs to keep my mind sharp.

This is one of the oldest thread topics on SDN (right up there with "Will my acceptance get rescinded if my senior year GPA tanks?" and "How much does medical school reputation affect residency placement?").

I will echo @FindMeOnTheLinks in saying that avoiding burnout is key. To that end, if you do not currently meditate I would strongly suggest learning how and employing it as a regular practice. It is a skill that can help you maintain your mental/emotional health throughout all your professional life. Much better, IMHO, than trying to cram some biochem before the storm hits.

P.S. In case you are wondering, I am not the pony-tail/tie-dye sort.

Reactions: 9 users
I would totally start studying for the USMLE. You need to get that dermatology/plastic surgery residency at Harvard. Also, start pre-studying for the basic sciences.

Also, I would start doing research at your medical school before class starts and get a bunch of publications.

studying will come,

I walked in with dozens of pubs under my belt.
3490889487_0b5cc6f959.jpg

5judgeroybean_(1).jpg

img_0567.jpg

Reactions: 18 users
I know you don't want to hear it, but enjoy the time you have between now and the start of school!

If you don't work out regularly, start doing so now. If you have made exercise a habit before starting medical school it will make a world of difference in your overall wellness!

I'd also recommend perfecting some cheap, easy dishes that you can make in bulk, to avoid the trap of eating out or eating junk all the time.

Sweet humblebrag.

For the OP, I'm planning on chilling and traveling so I can go in more motivated and avoid burnout like another poster said. I'm also doing a little research on studying techniques and potentially useful resources but not intensively, plus taking some non-medically related MOOCs to keep my mind sharp.

When you do research you tend to get published... massive humblebrag I know

Never too early OP, especially if you have your eye on something competitive

And booze.

Once classes start, you won't have 'em ever again.

Yeah right if med school has taught me anything it's that you dont need fun to have booze.

OP the best way to transition is to go to Mexico and get the surgery where they wont make you do the waiting period. Good luck on becoming a woman hope you're as stunning and brave as Caitlyn.

Just wait until that first post exam party. I went to fairly large party state school and the bashes we threw after exams put those things to shame. That's what happens when you literally sit at a desk and read for hours and hours and hours and hours on end for the week leading up to an exam. I wasn't a science major in undergrad so that brought a certain sense of urgency to me when I started biochem, histo, etc. Med school is like a train. It starts out slowly but it doesn't stop, so don't fall behind because once it picks up speed it just keeps chugging until the next exam. Above all, have fun. It's a great time. You'll make lasting friendships, attend weddings of classmates, and meet sporadically while in residency to catch-up. It's a deep bond. Also realize that in many ways, medical school also devolves into middle school. You'll know what I mean in a few months. Congrats!

Find some Nurses and PA's to hit on and start getting practice from now .. lol I kid , I would travel and see the world maybe go to Europe

Have as many debates as you can about whether doctors or nurses are better

in all seriousness, putting his account on hold and (hopefully) taking some time away from SDN would help the transition tremendously

in all seriousness, putting his account on hold and (hopefully) taking some time away from SDN would help the transition tremendously

OP needs to discover fresh air and social interactions with other humans if he/she is pre-preparing for medical school. Totally agree.

Focus on finding a group of friends who take studying as seriously as you do but at the same time, share interests with you so you can balance out the hard work. Finding a core group of like-minded individuals to survive the rigors of medical school coursework can be a huge blessing

God you suck OP. Lighten up and quit being so stuffy.

He'll be trolling his classmates before too long.

Lol - why do people keep asking about this?

Option 1: enjoy the last time you can take a full break and not worry about anything.

Option 2: if you really want to be a loser - read Robbins and memorize it, then read FA and pray something about it make sense, watch pathoma, listen to Goljan, finish sketchy micro, do Lange pharm cards. Then when you matriculate - go take step. Tell your school you got a 260 and ask to skip the first two years of Med school.