Best ways to get experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have about 50 hours of shadowing a family medicine doc and that is the specialty I want. I need more clinical experience and possibly more shadowing? I have a decent gpa, applying for research and have decent LORs just trying to cover all my bases. I have lots of experience between working at a vet clinic to church to school to work but need medical clinical experience. What some good volunteering and experience paid or unpaid, any suggestions? Any info will help thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Medical experience doesn't mean just shadowing. Do something that involves interaction with patients (volunteer at hospitals, clinics, hospices, nursing homes, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user
If you choose to do clinical research, you may be able to get some patient contact and research experience at the same time. If there's a medical school near you, you could either work as a research assistant or volunteer with a particular study. My research projects take on several undergrads as volunteers.

Hospice volunteering!

You need hours doing volunteering with patients (the more the better.) Hospice is probably one of the best settings to get something really meaningful out of the tasks volunteers are typically permitted to engage in.

Edit: Also, ER volunteering programs are pretty easy to find depending on where you are from.

Just make sure no matter where you end up that you will be able to interact in some way with patients. In my first volunteer program we weren't even allowed to go near patients other than to discharge...