Bet you cant answer this question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmacyTekRX7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
THere are some communications barriers that are common in the pharmacy like enviormental non-english speaking people, hearing impairment, predjudice conflicts and other negative communication Knowing this what would you do to make sure that you provide professional and effective communication at all times?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'd be able to answer that without having SDN people figure out my personal statements for me :smuggrin:

THere are some communications barriers that are common in the pharmacy like enviormental non-english speaking people, hearing impairment, predjudice conflicts and other negative communication Knowing this what would you do to make sure that you provide professional and effective communication at all times?

As an arab american pharmacy tech i come across all these communication barriers. Being multilingual, I am constantly being asked to help foreign customers with their needs. sometimes, even if I dont speak their language lol. I use my perception of nonverbal cues and good judgement to serve the patients in the best way.
although english is my 2nd language, I dont have an accent in speaking it and I try to speak clearly and loud enough for the elderly since alot of them think i am "soft spoken."
because I wear a scarf, some customers are rude to me and say mean things but I dont let it get to me because I know they are ignorant.

Members don't see this ad :)

I find that miming works

psh...easy...

just place a "perfectly healthy whites only" sign on the door.

That's a really easy essay prompt. Now a really hard one was from when I applied last year: "What insight into the human condition do you bring to your studies at UCSF?"

Last edited:
That's a really easy essay prompt. Now a really hard one was from when I applied last year: "What insight into the human condition do you bring to your studies at UCSF?"

When I first read the question I was very lost. They asked the same question again this year!

Back when I worked at Radioshack, we had access to the Internet so I could have just gone to some free translation website and just typed in what I wanted to tell the customer and then turned the screen around when it gave me a translation.

Unfortunately, CVS does not have Internet so I can't do this anymore.

Well, to be more correct it would be "sick whites only". A healthy white wouldn't have any business at the pharmacy other than possibly birth control.

ha, youre right...

but i dont want to bother with the "hearing impaired" white people.

i guess i'd be dispensing lots of vitamins

Try doing some role playing... pretend that you are one of those who don't understand english well or have a hearing impairment. How does it make you feel when you try to communicate with a health care professional like that? What would you expect from them? What might occur in a situation like that? What other communication skills are there? etc, etc...

Back when I worked at Radioshack, we had access to the Internet so I could have just gone to some free translation website and just typed in what I wanted to tell the customer and then turned the screen around when it gave me a translation.

Unfortunately, CVS does not have Internet so I can't do this anymore.

I agree. My coworkers and I often use babelfish for translating English to Spanish.

If you still get internet at your pharmacy, try it:

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

worse comes to worse, I believe some pharmacies have a translation hotline you can dial for a live translator on the phone.

To solve the communication problems, store managers try to hire reliable techs who can speak multiple languages (especially Spanish) or know sign language. :)

How many lazy people does it take to not answer their own secondary application questions?

-and-

How many suckers actually help out these lazy people?

(These questions are actually derived from my secondary application for ULBSSP AKA University of Lazy Bums and Suckers, School of Pharmacy)

Haha, I can't help it... I'm a sucker for helping people.

Hey, I got a good one. MICRO MANAGE!! Everyone loves it and makes for a perfect enviornment.

Easy. You simply have to show your patients that you are like them.
So for non-English speakers, just say "No speakee Eeengleesh!!!"
For the heaing impaired, give them a blank stare and place your hands behind your ears to signal that you cannot hear what people are saying.
For the prejudiced, be sure to place a swastika on your shirt or display it prominently in your work area.

These are guaranteed to elevate your status in your patients' eyes.

I studied 5 languages in school and could communicate with many people at a conversational level. A lot of them really appreciated my effort. However, I haven't kept it up and now can only speak 3 conversationally.

Oh come on... this is a very typical question that can EASILY be asked when you go to an interview. I can come up with 3 to 4 examples off the bat of my head to solve the language barrier issue. This is because I grew up in a city that had 2 other main languages other than English. Also because I had to deal with it all the time at the hospital.

Nope, i have NO idea how to anwer that question, you were right. Good job. You are going to be such a good pharmacist.

Give them a notebook and pen and have them write it out.

If they hearing impaired turn computer monitor around or write it on said notebook and show it to them.

Long term:
Get the complete series of Rosetta Stones and learn the basics of every major language and learn sign language.