Step I Beta 1 Blocker Effect on SV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PagingDr.F

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Beta 1 blockers will decrease heart rate and contractility. Would this decrease in heart rate allow for an increase in ventricular filling time and therefore, a larger stroke volume? Or would SV decrease because of the decreased contractility?

Basically, I'm having a hard time figuring out which factor (preload vs contractility) has a greater influence on the stroke volume.
 
Beta 1 blockers will decrease heart rate and contractility. Would this decrease in heart rate allow for an increase in ventricular filling time and therefore, a larger stroke volume? Or would SV decrease because of the decreased contractility?

Basically, I'm having a hard time figuring out which factor (preload vs contractility) has a greater influence on the stroke volume.
To maintain cardiac output, SV must increase to compensate for decreased HR due to decreased sympathetic activity. Contractility is increased by sympathetic input, but I think it's primarily a product of EDV, so decreased HR would increased EDV (by increased filling time like you said).