Beta 1 Blocker Effect on SV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PagingDr.F

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Beta 1 blockers will decrease heart rate and contractility. Would this decrease in heart rate allow for an increase in ventricular filling time and therefore, a larger stroke volume? Or would SV decrease because of the decreased contractility?

Basically, I'm having a hard time figuring out which factor (preload vs contractility) has a greater influence on the stroke volume.

Members don't see this ad.

Beta 1 blockers will decrease heart rate and contractility. Would this decrease in heart rate allow for an increase in ventricular filling time and therefore, a larger stroke volume? Or would SV decrease because of the decreased contractility?

Basically, I'm having a hard time figuring out which factor (preload vs contractility) has a greater influence on the stroke volume.
To maintain cardiac output, SV must increase to compensate for decreased HR due to decreased sympathetic activity. Contractility is increased by sympathetic input, but I think it's primarily a product of EDV, so decreased HR would increased EDV (by increased filling time like you said).