beta blocker before exam??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johncarter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone taken any beta blockers before an exam? i.e. Propranolol?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm...what?

If you need to relax before an exam, just choke the chicken. Goes a long way rather than taking beta blocker.

There were times I could have used one, but no, I never did, nor do I know anyone who did.

Rollo - he said he wants to relax, not smoke a cigarette and fall asleep.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken that and more. Try a nice Xanax or Klonopin if the BB doesn't do the job.

I know someone who takes them for presentations because she panics and gets horrible cotton mouth when she has to stand up in front of a crowd. Shes fine for exams though.

I have a few times, I get occasional panic attacks.

My doc gave me propranolol...taken it 2 times. Works very good, but I don't like to rely on it.

Try meditation, self hypnosis, etc first.

thanks for your input guys!
yah I get some pretty gnarly test anxiety so I am wondering if it would be a good idea......probably wouldn't help for mental block 2˚ to anxiety though huh?

thanks for your input guys!
yah I get some pretty gnarly test anxiety so I am wondering if it would be a good idea......probably wouldn't help for mental block 2˚ to anxiety though huh?

Ive been on beta blockers for several yrs for HTN, and I must say that the best I can tell, my brain doesnt function quite as well with beta blockers. Just a thought if you plan to use them....Also Id be curious to know your opinion regarding cognitive function while on them.

Thanks.

Just give yourself a little carotid sinus massage when you feel like you're panicking. Most of the therapeutic value probably derives from just taking 30 seconds to sit and get your mind off things, though it will slow down your heart rate and lower your blood pressure too.

Just give yourself a little carotid sinus massage when you feel like you're panicking. Most of the therapeutic value probably derives from just taking 30 seconds to sit and get your mind off things, though it will slow down your heart rate and lower your blood pressure too.

I hope you're kidding

Ive been on beta blockers for several yrs for HTN, and I must say that the best I can tell, my brain doesnt function quite as well with beta blockers. Just a thought if you plan to use them....Also Id be curious to know your opinion regarding cognitive function while on them.

Thanks.

Can you switch to Ace-I??? I take a low dose lisinopril and my BP went from 140/90 to 115/70. Doc put me on atenolol for a couple weeks before and I hated my life...couldn't lift, sex drive was horrible, depressed, etc.

Can you switch to Ace-I??? I take a low dose lisinopril and my BP went from 140/90 to 115/70. Doc put me on atenolol for a couple weeks before and I hated my life...couldn't lift, sex drive was horrible, depressed, etc.

The story here is very long, but over the past year I have tried probably 12 meds in hopes of getting of beta blockers. I have all sorts of strange side effects to many of these meds (ARBs, ACEI cause significant impaired cognitive function - IE Id literally have to drop out of school to be on these; CCBs - intense headaches not uncommon; to name just a few of my experiences).

BTW, if anyone is really interested and knowledgeable in pharm and side effects, Id love to pick your brain about possible mechanisms for some of these bizarre side effects (IE cognitive dysfunction and ARBs - believe me, this was very real).

Thanks.

The story here is very long, but over the past year I have tried probably 12 meds in hopes of getting of beta blockers. I have all sorts of strange side effects to many of these meds (ARBs, ACEI cause significant impaired cognitive function - IE Id literally have to drop out of school to be on these; CCBs - intense headaches not uncommon; to name just a few of my experiences).

BTW, if anyone is really interested and knowledgeable in pharm and side effects, Id love to pick your brain about possible mechanisms for some of these bizarre side effects (IE cognitive dysfunction and ARBs - believe me, this was very real).

Thanks.

Wow thats kinda scary you had cognitive effects w/ an ACE-I and ARB. Freaks me out a little! My bp is largely due to stress...which I've really improved these days.

Hope you feel better bud

Wow thats kinda scary you had cognitive effects w/ an ACE-I and ARB. Freaks me out a little! My bp is largely due to stress...which I've really improved these days.

Hope you feel better bud

Thanks alot. Im fine really.

Yes, I now am very sensitive to trying new medicines because frankly it seems many untoward effect are possible (for me anyway).

Is this an oral exam? People do sometimes find they help with the shakes. However they can also interfere with cognition and can make you pass out. If you decide to do it, make sure you practice with the medication before your exam. It takes fine tuning to know which dose helps and which dose makes you feel light-headed or slow-witted. Some people rehearse in front of a mirror or have their friends quiz them and find that reduces anxiety quite effectively. Finally, you will not be the first person your professor or attending has seen who is nervous at an exam. Some of us are better than others at helping examinees handle their anxiety, but we all know it happens. If your hands are shaking and you answer the questions correctly, you are scored on the basis of a correct answer. And if you really truly know your stuff because you have studied hard, that will shine through.

Status
Not open for further replies.