1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

beth israel versus emory surg path fellowship

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by sjssurgpath, Feb 22, 2007.

1. sjssurgpath

I recently got an offer for acceptance for Emory's surg path fellowship. I haven't accepted yet, but I'm pretty happy about Emory because you function basically like a junior attending. Beth Israel has offered me an interview, but if I interview, I may lose my position from Emory provided I want to take theirs. Can anyone who is familiar compare and contrast the two programs? Thanks.

2. LADoc00

LADoc00 Gen X, the last great generation
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    THE biggest factor is where do you want to practice NE or the South??

If you want to work in Boston afterward, then the choice is easy. If you want to work in Georgia or Florida, likewise easy.

If you want to work in Cali, I would say neither.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Neddy

Neddy ... can get you a toe.
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey LADoc, I know you always reccommend doing residency/fellowship in the region you want to practice. That's only for private, right? Or is regionalism important in academics too?

4. djmd

djmd an Antediluvian
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Not as much. I think in academics the strength / program recognition counts for more in academics, but regionalism works by being known and have the people who hire you know the people from your program...

So if they know your program because of reputation or because of geography it helps you...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. LADoc00

LADoc00 Gen X, the last great generation
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Honestly, academics is not something you need to strive hard to bust into. Many academic path programs have TONS of openings. At top places your pedigree matters alot (HMS/Stanford/Yale/JHU/WashUetc.) but probably equally important is your publication record.

"Academics" is also a very vague term, you have academic pure clinical types and academic basic science types. 2 totally different beasts really with different needs/requirements.

6. OP
    OP
    sjssurgpath

That's a good point about private practice options living in the area where you do fellowship. I was interested in academics though, clinical type. I'll already have a GU fellowship and informatics fellowship under my belt, so I was just using this surg path fellowship for getting good at being at general things, and getting ready for the AP portion of the boards. I didn't want to work at a lab for urologists, even though I'm sure there is money to be made. I think Beth Israel and Emory are similar in strength of caliber for surgical pathology programs. Wouldn't most people agree?