• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

sjssurgpath

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
I recently got an offer for acceptance for Emory's surg path fellowship. I haven't accepted yet, but I'm pretty happy about Emory because you function basically like a junior attending. Beth Israel has offered me an interview, but if I interview, I may lose my position from Emory provided I want to take theirs. Can anyone who is familiar compare and contrast the two programs? Thanks.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
THE biggest factor is where do you want to practice NE or the South??

If you want to work in Boston afterward, then the choice is easy. If you want to work in Georgia or Florida, likewise easy.

If you want to work in Cali, I would say neither.

Neddy

... can get you a toe.
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hey LADoc, I know you always reccommend doing residency/fellowship in the region you want to practice. That's only for private, right? Or is regionalism important in academics too?

About the Ads

djmd

an Antediluvian
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2001
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey LADoc, I know you always reccommend doing residency/fellowship in the region you want to practice. That's only for private, right? Or is regionalism important in academics too?

Not as much. I think in academics the strength / program recognition counts for more in academics, but regionalism works by being known and have the people who hire you know the people from your program...

So if they know your program because of reputation or because of geography it helps you...

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Honestly, academics is not something you need to strive hard to bust into. Many academic path programs have TONS of openings. At top places your pedigree matters alot (HMS/Stanford/Yale/JHU/WashUetc.) but probably equally important is your publication record.

"Academics" is also a very vague term, you have academic pure clinical types and academic basic science types. 2 totally different beasts really with different needs/requirements.

sjssurgpath

10+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2007
Status (Visible)
That's a good point about private practice options living in the area where you do fellowship. I was interested in academics though, clinical type. I'll already have a GU fellowship and informatics fellowship under my belt, so I was just using this surg path fellowship for getting good at being at general things, and getting ready for the AP portion of the boards. I didn't want to work at a lab for urologists, even though I'm sure there is money to be made. I think Beth Israel and Emory are similar in strength of caliber for surgical pathology programs. Wouldn't most people agree?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.