Better chance of getting in if you attend the undergrad affiliated with the med schoo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fossa9

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's what I came up with:
Your chances are effected if you attend the undergrad institute affiliated the medical school you plan to attend.
I sent an e-mail to the Health and Science Center at my undergrad school and asked for any stats. that they might have on the subject. My school replied with thisUsf web page
This web site was only up-to-date for the year 2000 but very helpful. You must have acrobat reader in order to view the info.
The information presented here is only for the school I attend so the stats would very from school to school.
If you would like the same information from your school, I would recommend you contact your undergrad school for similar stats.

Members don't see this ad.

unfortunately, at my school it kinda goes against you. Last time I looked, Case western only accepts 4% of its students who attended CWRU for undergrad. That's the same stats as Harvard. damn them.

As much as it sucks (especially if you really love the institution that you did your undergrad work at) it does kinda make sense. In general, professional schools and grad schools like to avoid "institutional inbreeding" by getting some new energy into their programs. Students from other places add new perspectives and ideas, which are always good for establishing a more exciting learning environment. On the other hand, if a person has established themselves as being committed to an institution and has been succesful, then it's hard to pass them up for a spot in their grad or professional school. It's a tough balance to strike!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well..

Most of Brown Med students went to Brown for their undergrads.

I think it's an exception to find a med school that doesn't show some degree of preference to its own undergrads. Usually med school deans will have a strong relationship with the pre-med advisor at that institution, and your interviewers may know the people who wrote your letters of rec, etc...

--doepug

northwestern doesn't show any preference. they do fill a third of their class with HPMEs (their seven-year program), so you could argue that that shows preference, but it is next to impossible for nonHPME applicants to be accepted. it just doesn't happen. the rumor is that this is because since a good chunk of each class is filled with HPMEs, the school makes a very deliberate effort to recruit students from other undergrad schools for the sake of diversity in their entering classes. makes sense, i suppose, especially since others here believe the same theory, but it sucks for nonHPME NU grads.

There are a couple of other points to keep in mind here. This can in no way be construed as a free ride. We still must prove to the medical schools that we are competent individuals and, that we are the best qualified. We must continue to have an above average GPA, the best MCAT scores, and more experience than the next applicant. We should never let down our guard and always be on top of the game. If you can bring these qualifications, along with an affiliated alma mater status, your chances of getting in might be increased. We should all remember that with an ever-increasing qualified applicant pool, we should make ourselves aware of any tools, which could help our standings.
One other point… The school I mentioned in the original post (USF), does not accept any out of state applicants. Shrinking the applicant pool can also increase your chances.

Speaking from experience, CWRU generally offers around a fourth of their acceptances to CWRU undergrads and alums. It seems to me that I can think of at least two dozen CWRU first years from case. They also extend interviews to all undergrads. For as long as I can remember CWRU has a big reputation for taking a lot of its own. So to answer the original question, being an undergrad at the affiliated university makes a big difference in admissions at CWRU, I assume it also does elsewhere. So dont be discouraged leorl!