Better journal vs quicker turnaround time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm hoping to get some advice on submitting/hopefully publishing a paper during the MD/PhD application cycle.

I'm working on a paper and am trying to decide where to submit it. I narrowed it down to two journals, with an IF difference of about 2. My mentor said I could submit it to either, but he sounded more confident with the lower IF journal.

Is getting a paper accepted/published during the application cycle/before interviews worth submitting to the lower IF journal? It sounds like a safer bet to get accepted and avoid delays, but if it doesn't matter too much for admissions I might try for the higher IF journal.

I guess I would say it depends on if you already have publications. If you already have a couple, why not go for the higher impact journal. If you don't have any, or maybe 1 in a low impact journal, I'd shoot for the quicker turnaround.
 
I've got a couple 3rd to 4th author ones in "mid-to-low" (depending on how you define that), but no 1st author pubs.
I got one high impact first author paper after my interviews and got accepted to one MD/PhD program this cycle but I only applied with a couple 2nd/3rd author papers in mid and low impact journals. In this situation, you may have some leeway to submit at the higher impact journal and just update the schools when/if it gets accepted, since you already have proof of substantial (enough) research.