Better life in residency on Instagram

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted445355

Hi guys,

I am a MS1 nearing the end of 1st year and I can't help but notice that dermatology residents seem to have a better life in residency than medical school on Instagram. I follow a number of derm residents and attending and from what I can tell, they look happier, healthier, more attractive and doing more fun things in residency than medical school. This seems to be the case with just about every derm resident I have followed. In medical school, they don't post that many photos and if they do, they seem to look tired, stressed out, less attractive, and not actually doing many fun things at all. The photos just become more vibrant in the residency years all of a sudden and the residents look like they take better care of themselves and do more fun activities. I know social media is not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality, so I'd like to ask current residents on this thread if they really do feel like their lives are better in residency than medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Instagram is cancer.

I don’t have much else to add.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Can people who are interested in treating skin disease still match into dermatology or do they have to fake an interest in cosmetology and social media?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I am a MS1 nearing the end of 1st year and I can't help but notice that dermatology residents seem to have a better life in residency than medical school on Instagram. I follow a number of derm residents and attending and from what I can tell, they look happier, healthier, more attractive and doing more fun things in residency than medical school. This seems to be the case with just about every derm resident I have followed. In medical school, they don't post that many photos and if they do, they seem to look tired, stressed out, less attractive, and not actually doing many fun things at all. The photos just become more vibrant in the residency years all of a sudden and the residents look like they take better care of themselves and do more fun activities. I know social media is not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality, so I'd like to ask current residents on this thread if they really do feel like their lives are better in residency than medical school.
If you're hot and have a fun personality (like IG famous people do), life will be good no matter what you do.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
People in derm are great at putting on appearances. Instagram is all about appearances. I worry for you that you look at Instagram photos and think those are accurate representations of an individuals normal life

Reactions: 5 users
Instagram? LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Can people who are interested in treating skin disease still match into dermatology or do they have to fake an interest in cosmetology and social media?

Try and say you wanna be a cosmetic dermatologist on the ‘gram during interviews and see how far you get.

Reactions: 6 users
i can make a homeless person look like the most happy to go person on instagram.

It says you've been a member for seven years. So I would think you'd know by now that:
  • To land a derm residency you have to be at/near the very top of your medical school class and
  • have very high STEP scores and
  • do lots of research and
  • hopefully make AOA, which
  • is stressful and takes a whole lot of time and very hard work, leaving
  • very little leftover time for relaxation, fun and wasting time on social media.
Even though Instagram is a hugely distorted Photoshopped version of a Stepford life, it would hardly be surprising if derm residents actually were more relaxed and happy in residency than in medical school.

It says you've been a member for seven years. So I would think you'd know by now that:
  • To land a derm residency you have to be at/near the very top of your medical school class and
  • have very high STEP scores and
  • do lots of research and
  • hopefully make AOA, which
  • is stressful and takes a whole lot of time and very hard work, leaving
  • very little leftover time for relaxation, fun and wasting time on social media.
Even though Instagram is a hugely distorted Photoshopped version of a Stepford life, it would hardly be surprising if derm residents actually were more relaxed and happy in residency than in medical school.
You forgot aesthetics. You have to be aesthetic

It's not as overblown as it seems. Assuming we're taking the fluff social media crowd out of the equation, yes, most derm residents have better qualities of life than they did in medical school. It's still a lot of studying and work that no one posts on social media, but the flexible hours make trips, vacations, fun conference trips, and happy hours more available than in med school.

Some residencies are obviously more brutal, with long lectures at the end of clinic every day, so there's variance between residencies too.

This is a hilarious thread... basing life decisions off Instagram.

Full disclosure: I am not on Instagram but my wife is.