Better to submit app earlier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheyf

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, just wondering if there's any benefit, however small, to submitting application materials/package earlier, like with ERAS (i.e. that mad dash on September 15th where everybody is just spamming the site). I have a friend who is also applying ophtho and has already submitted quite a few things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If it's the same as last year, the applications and supporting materials are released in waves. The first wave last year was in mid-August, so if you submitted your app on the opening day or August 15th, it meant no difference. I imagine that if you have your application completed within the next two weeks, you will be set. I found that SF Match was pretty helpful for clarifying these things if you called them. I would recommend calling in and asking what the date is that they begin releasing applications to programs this year. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I spoke with SF Match. They said that they will begin sending processed applications around the same time as last year, which was August 17. Processing takes about two weeks and doesn't begin until you have everything except for your MSPE letter submitted. I also called several programs, and all of them said that it was better that they receive your application sooner rather than later, but that every application received before their due date will be given a fair look. The earliest deadline that I could find was 08/31, but most are Sep-Oct.

Members don't see this ad :)
How late is too late? 2/3 of my LORs (include a big-wig ophtho one) will not be ready until at least late next week...

How late is too late? 2/3 of my LORs (include a big-wig ophtho one) will not be ready until at least late next week...

SF match has a list of program deadlines when you are scrolling through to pick out programs. SF also says it normally takes 14 days to process your app before it is released, but people who have posted here in years prior report it normally takes just about a week. For the few programs that have a cutoff at the end of August, you might be cutting it close waiting until the end of next week, but fortunately there's only a few of these. Most seemed like they were some time in September.