BetterHelp is mining patient data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
See the following complaint lodged to the Federal Trade Commission:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
They precalculated the cost of inevitably getting caught and figured “…meh *shrugs*”.

Reactions: 5 users

Or the other way, when CVS bought Aetna.

A fine? That’s ridiculous, if one of us systematically violated patient confidentiality in order to profit, I am pretty sure that our license would be revoked or suspended and our career could be over. Businesses and especially the people who run them and profit off of healthcare have almost zero accountability.

Reactions: 5 users
A fine? That’s ridiculous, if one of us systematically violated patient confidentiality in order to profit, I am pretty sure that our license would be revoked or suspended and our career could be over. Businesses and especially the people who run them and profit off of healthcare have almost zero accountability.
The people who run it have no licenses to go after

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that a company that pitched itself as a tech startup tries to monetize your data. HINT: they all do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't make it ok.
Never said it was. The public needs to understand you don't get something for nothing. Highly trained professionals cost money and they can't get around that.

Reactions: 1 users
Never said it was. The public needs to understand you don't get something for nothing. Highly trained professionals cost money and they can't get around that.
Betterhelp charges about 300 a month for their service. It’s one thing when google or Facebook sell our data, they aren’t charging us and telling us that it is confidential. I actually would like it if someone went after these clowns criminally. I worked for them for a brief period of time and their company is wrong on so many levels.

Reactions: 3 users
Betterhelp charges about 300 a month for their service. It’s one thing when google or Facebook sell our data, they aren’t charging us and telling us that it is confidential. I actually would like it if someone went after these clowns criminally. I worked for them for a brief period of time and their company is wrong on so many levels.
I had a friend do better help. It was terrible. I told her for that money she could have gotten a therapist irl. Even cheaper with her insurance

We are always the product.

Reactions: 1 user

$300/mth is $75/wk for that they need to pay the therapist and the programmers managing the software platform. No way that alone covers the cost. Even if they passed 100% of the monthly cost onto the therapist, it is a bad deal for us. Then they still need to show a profit. There is no way this was not part of the business plan from the start.

I've only heard horror stories and nightmare experiences/articles about Betterhelp, etc. Mind briefly going over your experience there?

I've only heard horror stories and nightmare experiences/articles about Betterhelp, etc. Mind briefly going over your experience there?
I learned pretty quickly how much I hate straight teleheath. Specific to Betterhelp, the pay was extremely poor and the fact that they make money regardless of patient showing up and I only get paid if patient shows up and it’s by the minute up to 45 and nothing thereafter. Pay scale was higher the more hours you worked which was odd. Basically, I worked a couple days a week for about 10 to 15 hours and I got paid for about 80% of that time and made about 450 a week. if I worked at it full time, probably would have made twice that and maybe a little more because of the scale, but there is no way I could personally do tele-heath full time. Good thing about it is that it motivated me to get my business up and running more quickly. Pay structure is much much better for that!

Reactions: 4 users
I learned pretty quickly how much I hate straight teleheath. Specific to Betterhelp, the pay was extremely poor and the fact that they make money regardless of patient showing up and I only get paid if patient shows up and it’s by the minute up to 45 and nothing thereafter. Pay scale was higher the more hours you worked which was odd. Basically, I worked a couple days a week for about 10 to 15 hours and I got paid for about 80% of that time and made about 450 a week. if I worked at it full time, probably would have made twice that and maybe a little more because of the scale, but there is no way I could personally do tele-heath full time. Good thing about it is that it motivated me to get my business up and running more quickly. Pay structure is much much better for that!

The thing about them is they had moment and it is gone. With the advent of HIPAA compliant telehealth platforms and, for psychologists, Psypact why make no money if you want to run a telehealth practice. The complaints about their model are likely true of any of the corporate run large practices that rip you off outside of the data sharing piece.

Reactions: 2 users
I imagine BetterHelp is where many of the horror stories of therapists doing sessions in their car, while taking care of their kids, etc. come from. I imagine anyone properly qualified as a therapist has better options.

Not remotely surprised RE: data sharing. Actually would have been surprised if they weren't doing that. A little surprised the punishment was that small. There are utterly ridiculous hoops put in place that actively harm and frustrate patients and providers in the name of "HIPAA-compliance" and this company gets a wrist slap for doing literally the opposite of that.

You'd think maybe it would be okay for your doctor to leave detailed voicemails with your test results if you tell them it's okay, rather than make everyone play phone tag with a nurse for 6 hours only to have them read numbers they don't understand to you and then be utterly unable to answer any questions. Not that I've had this experience. Repeatedly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for sharing this. This needs to be seen by more people.

Thank you for sharing this. This needs to be seen by more people.

Most people just need to run the numbers. 450 is essentially half to 3/4 of what one could make from medicare for a single dementia eval. The biggest issue is that these things are not mysticism, these figures are freely accessible. Any provider can run the Medicare numbers and estimate their earning floor.