1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

?between undergrad and med school?

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by WWU_Viking, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Well I am going to be one of those people that does not begin med school after undergrad. I'm interested in how some of those you that are not out of undergrad "survive"

*If you are in an SMP program, other masters, or more post bac, do you work, how many hours, ect? If you don't work, and are in more schooling (smp, ect)-what do you do about finances?

*If you are just working after undergrad, what is your job and major?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. relentless11

relentless11 Going broke and loving it
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm doing a PhD, my tuition is paid for, and I earn about $21k/yr ($25k/yr for 2006-2007 :D ) by being a graduate student researcher. My program was intended for MSTPs/VSTPs, and thus I take med school courses for my core curriculum.... so on par with most SMPs..just minus the name. Additionally I also take undergrad classes to boost my undergrad GPA when time permits.

Officially, I only work <50% time due to university requirements. In reality, I work 8-12 hours every weekday (average 10 hrs) outside of home, and probably a few extra hours in addition to that at home. I also work on weekends. This work includes actual coursework, studying, clinic time, mentoring, teaching and research.

My classmate who is a masters student probably does 8 hour days, weekends are OK, but has to work another job to pay for school since masters programs are not required to pay for their students. But, she will be done this fall, after a mere 12 months in school, where as I have another 2-3 years AT BEST.

4. silkworm

silkworm Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    If you are doing a SMP, you pretty much don't have the time to work. Instead, you take out a huge loan (total perhaps $50,000) to cover your tuition and living expense, study hard and pray to your deities for the best.