Beveling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just finished a practical on class 3 facial 8 and 9 ml/dl respectively and I feel even more confused about beveling then ever. In my projects I had been working on making bevels at about or less then 2mm. My bench instructor had indicated that this was good as I had been 'over beveling' (>2mm) previously). However at the end of my practical when I compared with everyone else it seemed like they had way more then 2mm some going up almost to 4mm! Is this just a case of different prof working in different ways or what?? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

A 2mm bevel will be sufficient to blend composite while also increasing surface area. Larger runs the risk on being too thin and prone to fracture or chipping, as well as unnecessary enamel removal.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above statement. 2 mm facial bevel is sufficient. I wouldn't go to 4 mm - 3 mm is even a bit much, you don't want to remove anymore vital tooth structure than need be!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to see the research that backs a 2mm bevel as ideal. I would say that a 2mm bevel is on the high end and that you can achieve an ideal prep with less. Tooth preservation is important.

In clinical practice, I've found through various successes and failures (yup, we don't always get it right the first time, so its better learn from any failures and keep improving our skills!!!) that for retention purposes, 2mm is the minimum that I want.

Sometimes for esthetic reasons, I may extend that bevel out to 3 or 4mm based on the patients dentin and/or enamel shading and how that will allow me to restore their tooth, with my direct composite material of choice and the optical properties of my composite and their tooth shading. Usually in my hands, for a lighter shade, my bevels will be at that 2mm range, however if I have a patient with a darker shade and a tooth with a high value level, I find that I need to extend that bevel out to maybe 4mm to really help the optical qualities of the layers of direct composite I use really blend into the patients natural tooth coloration

Thanks for all the replies guys. Spoke to my professors and the basic consensus was the usual answer. Ask 3 dentists get 3 different responses. Soooooo mehhhh haha