Beware

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfpackhal

UNC PharmD class of 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From Pearson's PCAT website:

All percentile ranks are based on the 2007 norms (see Appendix A, “Sample
Personal Score Report”). Percentile ranks earned before June 2008 (when the
2007 percentile ranks were introduced) have been converted to equivalent 2007
percentile ranks.

http://pearsonassess.com/hai/images/dotcom/pcatweb.info/PCAT08_CIB_Sections/PCAT08_CIB_Final-After.pdf#page=1 refer to pg. 19

What this means -

If you took any PCAT exams before June 2008, the percentiles you received on your PCAT score report in the mail have changed!!! (the score trends will be the same, but your percentiles that are being reported to PharmCAS may now be lower or higher than you think they are). I know this for a fact because SU Pharmacy School reported having slighty different percentiles (but, same trends) for my PCAT on file than what my original PCAT report shows. I discovered this when a professor emailed me bout my PCAT scores.

I can understand that Pearson may rescale the scores, but applicants should be made clear of thier new percentiles when the changes are made.

Members don't see this ad.

but if we took the exam in 2007..wasn't it already compared to the 2007 norm? Why are we being compared to a new 2008 norm? It doesn't make sense to me..

read Pearson's statement I posted above. The new 2007 norm was esablished this year in June 2008 when all PCATs taken before that were evaluated. I think this all sucks...I am just trying to spread word.

Members don't see this ad :)
read Pearson's statement I posted above. The new 2007 norm was esablished this year in June 2008 when all PCATs taken before that were evaluated. I think this all sucks...I am just trying to spread word.

sucks big time! I wonder how many people were affected?

Does this mean that the June 2008 test takers were the first to be affected?? How do we find out if our scores are different then those sent to us in the mail??

Your June '08 scores won't change. This test was the first with the new normal group.

I wonder how many percentiles will actually change. Do you think they will just automatically send out updated percentiles? Or will schools only know if you have had scores sent to them since 6/08?

Anyone have PharmCAS showing an update to your schools on 10/6? I'm wondering if this is when the updated percentiles went out.

I had a new reference, but it was sent into PharmCAS back in August.

Basically here is how it affected me...all my percentiles were slightly adjusted when compared to the new "norm", one of my PCAT composites was adjusted down 6 percent points and another 5 percent points...so hope that gives you all an idea. It is possible that your scores may not changes much or could even increase...but, it seems that they will likely be adjusted about 5 pts down...so beware. I was never told by Pearson that my scores would be diff for this year, and I think that is unfair.

Basically here is how it affected me...all my percentiles were slightly adjusted when compared to the new "norm", one of my PCAT composites was adjusted down 6 percent points and another 5 percent points...so hope that gives you all an idea. It is possible that your scores may not changes much or could even increase...but, it seems that they will likely be adjusted about 5 pts down...so beware. I was never told by Pearson that my scores would be diff for this year, and I think that is unfair.

How did you get your new scores?

I got my updated scores when a professor from SU pharmacy emailed me asking about some trends in my PCAT scores. Thankfully she listed the scores she had on file for me, and that is when I noticed they had been changed. At first, I thought it was a horribe error, but after researching it I found out all PCATs bfore June 08 have been rescaled.

I got my updated scores when a professor from SU pharmacy emailed me asking about some trends in my PCAT scores. Thankfully she listed the scores she had on file for me, and that is when I noticed they had been changed. At first, I thought it was a horribe error, but after researching it I found out all PCATs bfore June 08 have been rescaled.

Wow... so a large portion of applicants are applying with lower (or higher) scores than they think they have. I would be so mad! I wonder if schools will take the new scale into consideration when looking at the new PCAT scores and if they even know about it? :confused:

So how are we to find out what our new "updated" scores are?

not sure, PharmCAS would not tell me what scores they had on file for me. I doubt Pearson will tell you because they do not even allow you to call and find out your scores in the first place, but I have not tried them yet. However, feel free to call them and tell them how wrong it is that they rescale our scores without making it clear to us. They may send you a new copy of your scores in the mail, so you could ask them that. Also, you could ask one of the schools that you applied to or are applying to what percentiles they have for you. Trust me, if you took the PCAT pre-June 08 your percentiles will be somewhat different.

I called some schools that I applied to regarding this situation. My scores didn't change at all, everything stayed exactly the same. UB wasn't familiar with this at all, LECOM was. However, my composite was an 86 and still is.
Regardless, I think it is completely unfair. How can they change our scores..especially without informing anyone? It seems very unprofessional.

Wow. I honestly don't see any methodology or reasoning for this new implication, especially without informing the test takers (who spent $125 or so to take the exam) of this decision. It's completely unfair. But, alenadoma hopefully when i call the schools I'll get the same answer. Wolfpackhal, I hope things go well for you though. Good luck guys.

I called the school I am applying to, and my percentile did not change as well. I took the PCAT October 2007.