beyond repair?

Started by villacog
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

villacog

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
9 years ago I went to college straight out of highschool. i was clueless and lacked direction. I achieved 5 C's 1 D and 3 F's along with 2 withdraws over the course of 30 semester hours. I retook the D and F classes while I was still in my clueless period and wound up with a 2.8 GPA or 2.1 if you average the poor grades with the new grades.

I dropped out and joined the Air force for 6 years and figured out I wanted to pursue Physical Therapy. During this past year I've taken 40 credit hours, all straight. A's. I figured id make sure I got nothing less than an A for the duration of my college career and Id recover enough to have a shot at physical therapy.

Then, I took Chem 1 this semester. I got a D on the first test. The professor bases your entire grade off of 3 tests given over the semester. Basically, I have to do perfect on the next 2 tests to come out ok. I think its unreasonable for him to give just 3 tests and feel I could do better with a different professor.

Should I add another "w" to my transcript or just stick the class out amd risk a poor grade? Is it even reasonable for me to continue pursuing physical therapy considering I made such a mess of my schooling in younger years?
 
9 years ago I went to college straight out of highschool. i was clueless and lacked direction. I achieved 5 C's 1 D and 3 F's along with 2 withdraws over the course of 30 semester hours. I retook the D and F classes while I was still in my clueless period and wound up with a 2.8 GPA or 2.1 if you average the poor grades with the new grades.

I dropped out and joined the Air force for 6 years and figured out I wanted to pursue Physical Therapy. During this past year I've taken 40 credit hours, all straight. A's. I figured id make sure I got nothing less than an A for the duration of my college career and Id recover enough to have a shot at physical therapy.

Then, I took Chem 1 this semester. I got a D on the first test. The professor bases your entire grade off of 3 tests given over the semester. Basically, I have to do perfect on the next 2 tests to come out ok. I think its unreasonable for him to give just 3 tests and feel I could do better with a different professor.

Should I add another "w" to my transcript or just stick the class out amd risk a poor grade? Is it even reasonable for me to continue pursuing physical therapy considering I made such a mess of my schooling in younger years?

Hi, I can very well connect with you. During my undergrad i received 15 withdrawals, 2 D's, several F's, and many C's - coming out with my undergrad with a 2.4. Soon after I found out i wanted to do physical therapy, i buckled down and obtained a 3.8 prereq GPA and brought my overall to a 3.1. I received one acceptance letter, been wait-listed at my number 1 school and looking forward to 3 more interviews.

In my experience:

- PT school wants to see how passionate and determined you are.
- My chemistry professor based our grades with 3 test as well. I think it is normal to see that.
- I am a firm believer of sticking things out and fighting through it. My friend got a 50/100 on his first chemistry test but did well on the next two to receive a B in the class.
- If you decide to take the W or you do stick it through and get a bad grade... Make sure you able to explain it in your interviews.
- There is a section in PTCAS "Do you believe your academic record is a reflection of your capabilities". Take advantage.

"Is it even reasonable for me to continue pursuing physical therapy considering I made such a mess of my schooling in younger years?"

- It depends how bad you want it. Are you willing to work hard to get there? I dont like to use the word "non-traditional student". But we are a bit different, we didnt get good grades in our undergrad. So we have to show them something else. Use your undergrad experience as a strength, a transformative story.

Best of Luck. I believe you can do it. I did it 🙂
 
thank you. it really made me feel A LOT better after reading your post. I was beggining to become depressed over my decision to leave the military to pursue physical therapy because I enjoyed my job and the job security. The uphill battle I created for myself is unnerving since Im in my late twenties and have put my finacial growth on hold to pursue this. Its good to know it wasn't a totally outlandish and foolish decision.