Bi-racial, topic for diversity essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hexane19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think being bi-racial is a good topic for the diversity essay? Half white/Japanese but I grew up in a rather Caucasian area (Alabama).

Members don't see this ad.

If it's important to you, then yes.

Highly doubt that's the type of diversity they're referring to and the one you wouldn't want to write about. I would refrain

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your ethnicity in itself is highly unlikely to contribute any meaningful diversity, but the experiences you may have had because of it might. What in your life experience has been impacted by your bi-racialness and how will that equip you to contribute something different?

(If you can't answer that question, it's not a good topic.)

As @DokterMom said, it's more about how something has affected you than what the thing is. If you have something meaningful to say about how your race has given you unique perspectives, then it is a great topic to write about. If you just see it as a statistic that sets you into a minority, but you can't really articulate how it affects you beyond this, you shouldn't write about it. I actually have a particular characteristic that some people could look at on the surface and say that it contributes to diversity, but I feel that it has had no meaningful effects on my life experiences, so I won't be talking about it.

Do you think being bi-racial is a good topic for the diversity essay? Half white/Japanese but I grew up in a rather Caucasian area (Alabama).
I'm multi-racial, multi cultural, and have parents of different religions. I used this for diversity, as you do have a lot of relatives with different values to respect and can see things from multiple points of view. Asian cultures/religions are much different from WASP. Good luck to you.

I was going to talk about being biracial and cultural competency. Do you guys think that's okay? Or should I work another angle?

I was going to talk about being biracial and cultural competency. Do you guys think that's okay? Or should I work another angle?
I did it. Unless you have something better, play the hand you are dealt. Biracial is less than 10% of the population. It is different than being in one racial/ethnic/religious group.

Again, this really depends upon whether or not your being biracial has had a significant impact on your life and experiences. If you just say: "I'm biracial so I am able to understand the lives of people of multiple races," but you are unable to explain how being biracial has affected your life experiences in any way, this is a poor essay topic. If you have had experiences that most people have not had because your are biracial (i.e. you could tell people stories if they asked, not just give a vague, "I have the experience of being two races, and most people don't have that.") then this could be a good topic.

Did you identify with either community more than the other? Did you have a tumultuous upbringing involving "finding your identity" and "who you really are?" If so, then maybe - this is the kind of stuff committees at some schools eat up, particularly if you can "back up" what you're saying with involvement in particular ECs in college, genuine interest in working with a particular patient population, etc.. If you're simply going to share the fact that you're from a biracial background, then no, I don't think it's worth mentioning and will likely not do you any good. Without any substance, this aspect of your life will not be impressive to committees.

I did it. Unless you have something better, play the hand you are dealt. Biracial is less than 10% of the population. It is different than being in one racial/ethnic/religious group.

I think this is totally acceptable. I think people underestimate how impacting being biracial can be, or being strongly exposed to 2+ religions or ethnic groups. As long as you state how this helps you add something to the student body, then it should be fine. Being culturally competent is very, very important- now more than ever. Use what you have.

Would anyone be willing to read mine ? I'm curious if it is ok?

Perfectly fine, but really, common material.

What makes you cool? That's what they're looking for, not your ethnic mix.

Every sarcastic joke I could make in this instance would be culturally insensitive...lol.

Perfectly fine, but really, common material.

What makes you cool? That's what they're looking for, not your ethnic mix.

So you think I should work another angle and not my biracial background / cultural sensitivity?